What You Get When You Cross a God of Mischief With an Embodiment of Patriotism

About half an hour later, they'd visited two of the four floors dedicated to the Avengers' museum already and Peter began to relax, having seen no signs of any of the Avengers crashing his field trip. He was actually starting to get interested; he hadn't actually ever seen the museum and it was pretty cool to see old suits and artifacts taken as trophies from the various Bad Guys™ they'd battled. Peter's favorite thing, however, had to be the Hall of Heroes. He recalled Tony mentioning something about it a few months back, but he'd never seen it for himself.

The Hall of Heroes, as Rachel explained, was a whole floor of the museum dedicated to honoring past and present Avengers. The Ironman section, which Peter went to first; showcased the old Mark I and a few other suits Tony had designed as well as some of his prototypes for weapons. At the bottom of each hero's name plaque, it listen a few fun facts about them.

"Peter, it's yours!" Ned whisper-shouted, tugging his best friend along to another section of the Hall. Peter's eyes widened when he spotted it.

It really was his. Spider-Man's, anyway. Behind the glass was the first suit he'd ever worn and a few older web shooter prototypes. Unlike the other heroes, his name plaque simply said 'Spider-Man'. He realized he was the only one, really, with a real secret identity.

"Dude, you're afraid of spiders?" Ned asked and MJ chuckled.

Peter glanced down below his name and frowned at the 'fun fact'. "Imagine getting bit by a spider and then gaining abilities you have no idea what to do with. It was traumatizing. Plus, is there anyone out there who's not afraid of spiders?"

"Fair point."

Peter rolled his eyes good-naturedly and read the other facts.

1) Spider-Man is afraid of spiders.

2) Spider-Man sewed his first suit by himself. That's right, ladies, Spider-Man can sew! ;)

Peter choked on a laugh at that, both incredibly mortified and also a bit flattered that his dad was indirectly acting as Spider-Man's wingman.

3) Spider-Man is a genius! He makes his own web solution and helps Ironman design new tech for the Avengers!

His dad thought he was a genius? Ironman thought Peter Parker was a genius? Enough to tell everyone who visited the Hall?

It was only when Ned looked at him in concern and gently prodded him with a finger that Peter realized he'd been staring silently. He felt a tear slide down his cheek and he wiped his face on his sleeve. "Peter? Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah. Sorry, it's just... it's nothing. I'm okay," he said quietly, turning away from his section to find Rachel and rejoin the group.

When he spotted a set of highly familiar and poorly disguised shoulders on the other side of the room instead of the tour guide, Peter groaned, his Avenger-free high wearing off, and made his way over. "Uncle Steve, a pair of shades and a baseball cap won't keep people from recognizing you. Your face is literally plastered on posters in schools all over America. Did Dad put you up to this?"

Steve turned around, eyes wide in surprise, but when he spotted Peter, he relaxed. "Tony? No. Pepper told me to keep an eye on you."

"Mom told you to crash my field trip?" Peter asked incredulously. And here he'd thought his mother was the responsible, no-nonsense kind of woman! She'd promised!

Steve grimaced. "F.R.I.D.A.Y told her that you've been having trouble with a classmate. What's going on?"

Peter sighed. "Nothing. I'm fine."

Steve quirked a brow, unconvinced. "Peter, I know that's not true."

"It's really nothing," he insisted, voice low. "It's nothing I can't handle. I've dealt with much worse as Spider-Man."