III - The Children of Gabriel

I gaped at the group of children staring at us with wide, curious eyes. Innocence filled their gazes, something we hadn't had the luxury of in years. My gaze roamed back to the main stairs as the adults paraded up, some dressed like royalty, all incredibly intimidating. I stood tall, refusing to show my trepidation even if I was battling crushing panic. Everyone who lived here was home. What if they were hostile? What if they didn't want to help us? We hadn't made it this far just to die at the hands of humans on another planet.

"Uh guys..." I started, subtly warning everyone to keep their cool.

Bellamy added, "Remember we're in their home. Everyone keep calm."

"Weapons down," I ordered, keeping my voice soft and low. Raven set her gun down on the ground. "Abby, stay with Murphy."

"Rose!" A woman at the front of the group of foreigners called to the girl staring intently at us. "Get away from them!"

I held up my hands in defense as they charged towards us, weapons brandished. "Hey! It's okay! We're from earth, we come in peace!"

As the others integrated with our group, I kept my hands up and kept close to Bellamy. I didn't like the mistrust in their eyes, or they way they shielded Rose from us. I understood the feeling, of course, but I didn't like it. One woman, one that clearly was a leader of sorts, approached the prisoner that they'd brought down on the transport ship.

"Kaylee!" She exclaimed. "Where have you been? Where's your family?"

Kaylee glared at us. "They killed them."

I glanced at Raven who was worrying at her lip. I didn't know what the hell went on up there, but I couldn't imagine these people having the knowledge that we'd already killed some of theirs was great for us.

"That's not good," Jordan murmured, echoing my thoughts.

At that moment, Murphy started seizing. His groans of pain struck my heart. I wished nothing more than to help him, but I didn't know how.

I turned to the people, eyes pleading, voice desperate. "Help us, please! Our friend is dying!"

I dropped to my knees beside Murphy, waiting to take over CPR for Abby. I wouldn't just stand idly by and let Murphy die.

"Let me pass," an authoritative voice rang out, booming and yet calm. Everyone parted, giving way to a regal man with graying hair who I assumed was their leader. He approached us, taking in our disheveled states. "Move them away."

The guards flanking him prodded us with their spears. I stumbled backwards, away from Murphy.

"What are you doing?" Abby protested. "He'll die!"

"You want my help or not?" The man asked.

I pursed my lips and pulled Abby away, allowing guards to form a ring around Murphy and the man. A tense moment passed, and he looked at us with pity. "He's already dead."

I gripped Bellamy's hand trying to steady myself, to steady him. No. He couldn't be dead. He'd fought so hard. He'd finally found happiness, he'd tried to help us, and now he was dead. This wasn't right.

The man rose to his feet. "Fortunately for him, death is not the end. Cillian, he was exposed to the seaweed during the red sun. Do it."

Another man, one I assumed was a doctor of sorts crouched beside Murphy's lifeless body. I watched with bated breath as he opened his bag and pulled out a red and black snake with too many eyes for me to count. My eyes widened. What the hell were they going to do?

"We call it kepa-she," the leader explained. "Means hideous snake in Chinese."

Cillian placed the head of the snake on Murphy's exposed torso. It opened its mouth, and a terrifying spiked tongue flickered out.