Chapter 26. My name is Johan. Elm.

...my name is... my name...

"Johan! Wake up already!"

The gehenna of broken mirrors gnashed, reflecting thunder and lightning... it discharged the brittle feeling of integrity with crimson bursts as I struggled to gather the tiny pieces. I needed strength and time, then I could...

"Go easy on the boy." Said a throaty voice, enveloping the thunder and dousing the lightning...

"Go easy? Why should I? He doesn't even look like a human being anymore! Back to his old habits, the shithead!"

External interference refused to let me concentrate, threatening to drag me to the depths without giving me a choice. Shuddering, I forced myself to pull myself together and open my eyes.

With sudden clarity, I saw the face of a grey gorilla of a person with a very square jaw. I immediately thought of Zeus the Stormbringer, probably because of all the associated ruckus... which still resonated through my body. The gorilla Zeus crouched before me with malice in his eyes.

Strange, albeit not at all important. What was important was to extinguish the feeling of permanent loss; to not fall apart into primitive pieces of 'me' doomed to an eternity of loneliness and suffering... time... strength... flow...

"I can see that you're back to your senses already. Quiet, Caleb, I know what I'm doing!"

What he's doing? Is he causing me pain? Who is he?

"Who are you?" I wheezed, opening my eyes again. "Who. Are. You!"

The gorilla turned his head towards the curly-haired shorty perched atop the billiard table.

"See?" He said. "Did you hear that? He doesn't recognise me! Maybe you should show mercy and strangle him right now?"

"Who the hell are you?" I screamed, trying to crawl away. What do you want? Answer me, motherfucker!"

The gorilla's upper lip quivered, baring the large teeth behind it. A clenched fist suddenly appeared in front of my face but relaxed at the last moment...

"This is for 'motherfucker'!"

The following strike almost twisted my neck and filled me with such hatred, the likes of which I have never felt before.

A slap!

Humiliation!

From a human!

From the metallic taste of resentment came a realisation: it was them! They brought me out of the astral plane! It's their fault! First they tore me apart; now it's my turn. Rip! And! Tear!

Hatred propelled me at the gorilla and my head collided with the painfully square jaw. I began hitting him; in the face, nose, ears, even pushing his eyes into his skull...

But a single hit from that man brought me back into my miserable fragmented state with numerous doomed pieces of 'me'. I shouted but my tormentors did not understand my pain. I screamed as they dragged me across the floor and handcuffed me to a pipe. I fell silent when a stream of ice-cold water hit my face.

I could scream no more.

***

Figuring out the speed at which time flows in a human body is subjective and unreliable. By my estimate, about four hours have passed before the gorilla showed his ugly face again. He entered the cramped bathroom and sat on the toilet like a king on his throne.

Johan's memories, which luckily I still had full access to, defined the gorilla as 'father,' 'old prick,' 'despot' and the list goes on. I wholeheartedly agreed. But if you remove the teenage exaggerations and primitive processes like 'dad won't hurt me much and mommy will protect me regardless', then I was left with a strong and cunning opponent, despite the deep wrinkles and grey hair saying otherwise.