Not A Home (Snippet)

"I don't want to go..." A young boy with blond hair whined.

"I know...but you have to go. Look, it's only for a few hours. Then you'll be able to leave and won't have to see him for another two weeks." The boy's aunt spoke lightly. She had pulled back her long brunette hair into a messy bun. Her eyes stayed focused on the slick roads from all the rain. Praying silently that nothing bad would happen.

"Well it's always more than a few hours...Doesn't the court strictly say two hours? No more than that." The young boy growled.

"It actually says 'Four' but we normally do two. I mean he just wants to see you for your birthday. Just stay there for the full four hours. What's the worst that could happen?" The aunt felt sorry for the boys dad.

"Everything could happen." The blond boy turned his head away from his aunt with an even more angered expression.

"Don't do it for him, do it for me and your little sister? Please." The aunt put a hand on the kids shoulder and gave it a small squeeze.

"Fine. And she's not my sister."

He glanced out the window angrily, resting his chin on his fist as he glanced through rain drops dancing down the window.

His hazel eyes dimmed with the clouds as the wind from the air vent blew his chin length hair into his face. He let out a long sigh. The silence wrapped around the two like a blanket and the boy slowly faded into a deep sleep.

"Odel wake up, were here." The aunt shook the boy and he groaned.

"Leave me alone....I just want to sleep..." He mumbled.

"Odel! Your dad..." The aunt pushed him hard.

Finally he sat up still angry as ever,  "Alright, I'm up! Jeez..." He opened the car door only to get flooded by rain. Really now? He grumbled as he flipped up his hood and walked to the front yard of his father's house.

It was a one story house, bricks lined the bottom of the house and it was pained a deep gray above the red bricks. A big oak stood tall blocking the rain. A blob of colors came dashing out attacking Odel. Arms wrapping around his waist that squeezed him tightly.

"Brother!" A little girl yelled excited.

Odel let a low rumble leave his lips, "Stop hugging me." He pushed her awway lightly and threw his hair up in a sloppy bun.

The little girl pouted as their father stepped out.

"You should really cut your hair for your birthday" His dad joked with a laugh. "Come here and give me a hug, it's been ages since I've seen you." his father held out his arms, his brown eyes seemed to smile at Odel.

Odel stood there silently crossing his arms. There's no way I'm hugging him. After a few moment his father walked over to him and gave him a big hug. Odel just glared ahead.

His father's tight grasp finally ended, his father was frowning. "Happy birthday my boy...I know I've made mistakes but I want to fix them now, be different." He said hoping his son would hear him out this time.

Odel kept a blank face, "You say that everytime. Hmp, is that why you had her? Is that why you ditched mother and when I was just a kid? You'll never change!" Odel raised his voice.

The little girl watched them bicker, she instantly felt like she didn't belong so she ran inside the small house.

"Ella wait!" The father ran inside after her.

Odel crossed his arms and let out a big sigh.

"Odel...You be nice to your step-sister. Now go on I'll be back in four hours. Promise." The aunt held out her pinky finger and smiled.

"Right...You better be here, promise." He sad with a slight smile, it quickly faded as he watched her step into the car and drive off. He stood there procrastinating weather or not he should go inside. "Well it is raining..." The boy finally decided and headed inside the one story house.

He closed the door lightly and stepped into the kitchen. There were signs hanging up that said "Happy Birthday" and "It Is YOUR Birthday!"
There  were some drawings that he figured his half-sister drew that were hung on the wall. He stopped and looked at one, it was of stick figures. A boy, a little girl, and a father. An arrow pointed from each of them to a set of names. His, his half-sisters, and his dad. He couldn't help but my smile at it.

"Your sister drew that for you." His father voice broke through his thoughts and the boys smile faded.

"You mean half-sister." he said folding his arms over his chest.

"She's still your sister..." his dad said, then handed him a flat long present. "Open it"

The boy snorted but opened it anyways. It was a all media art journal. He'd been wanting one for a while now.