Grandma's Walker

As I sat down at the desk for the night shift, I heard the ER doors open and watched as a mid to late 70 year old woman wearing a hospital gown moved rather quickly behind a walker through the lobby and out the front doors into the warm night air. Nothing had been passed on to us about her so my co workers and I were unsure of what to do. Should we try to stop her? Should we contact the ER staff? Should we just let her go? I peered over the desk towards the ER doors and waited for a staff member to come out with directions for us regarding the elderly lady but no one came. We continued to get everything set up on computers and prepare for the shift when a nurse, Kelly, came out and looked around.

"Did you see an elderly lady with a walker out here a few minutes ago?" She asked

"Yea she left. She just walked out the door and left." I said.

Kelly nodded then returned back into the ER department. We shrugged the incident off and continued with our nightly duties for the shift.

Half an hour later, our phone rang.

" Security" I answered.

"Hi yes this is Officer Jones with ___________ Police. We were wondering if you were missing a patient by chance." Jones said.

"No not that I know of. We had a patient that left on their own accord earlier though."

"Oh okay, well we just picked up a patient with a wristband from your hospital. She is confused and not sure where she is supposed to be and doesn't know anyones name or contact information so we are going to bring her back over to you."

"Okay. See you in a few minutes." I said then hung up the phone.

Ten minutes later Jones walked in with the elderly lady and checked her back in to the ER. Jones left and we continued with our nightly routine. As I worked at the desk I heard the doors to the ER open, and peered over the tall desk to see the elderly lady quickly moving through the doors, through the lobby and back out into the night. I watched for a staff member to tell me what to do, but no one came. I returned my attention to my computer. A few minutes later, Kelly appeared and looked around.

"Did she leave again?" She asked.

"Yea, about five minutes ago." I said. Kelly shrugged and returned back to the ER.

I went on a patrol of the building and returned just as the phone rang once more.

"Security" I answered.

"Hello there, this is officer Roberts with ___________ Police. I just came across a patient I believe is supposed to be at your facility. She has a hospital gown and wristband with your hospital's name on it. Can we bring her back over to you?"

"Sure but she has left twice so far tonight on her own."

"Okay, we will be by shortly with her."

15 minutes later, Officer Roberts pulled up outside the main entrance and helped the elderly lady out of the car. They came into the building and she was checked back in. Roberts bid us a good night and left. Two hours later, the doors to the ER opened and out comes our elderly patient. By now, I was really curious as to what was going on. The elderly lady left once more on her own and set off down the street into the dark.

Kelly appeared a few minutes later and glanced around.

"She left again." I said. "Hey what is going on?"

"Oh she's a pill seeker. She just wants pain meds and we won't give her any."

"Oh. Gotcha that makes sense as to why she keeps leaving.

I did my last patrol through the building and returned to the desk. I updated my report for the shift notating the appropriate details that needed to be documented for the night. Once done the phone rang.

"Security" I answered.

"Hi this is officer Samson with ___________ Police. I just found a patient of yours out on the interstate and was wondering if there was any family for the patient there. The patient's name is Margaret Lane."

"No, we dont have any family for her here but she has been coming and going from the hospital all night. She has left on her own three. times tonight and she keeps getting brought back over here by the police."

"Oh. Well, I dont want to bring her back over there. I'd actually like to take her into custody. I am a K-9 unit and upon stopping to check on her, my dog alerted me that something wasnt right and I learned that her walker contains drugs. If her family comes in will you notify them that she has been taken into custody?"

"Sure thing. What would be the best way to reach you at if someone comes in looking for her?" I asked.

"Just tell the family to contact ___________ Police department and to ask for me. Thanks for your help.

" No problem and thanks for letting us know you have her. Have a good night." I said then hung up the phone.

The shift was drawing to a close, which I was relieved for. I was ready for the night to be over. With half an hour left of the shift I was wrapping up my reports. A young man in his 20s approached the desk.

"Hey sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could tell me if a patient is here?"

"Sure who are you looking for?"

"Margaret Lane." The man said. I froze.

"She was here but she left multiple times on her own throughout the night. What is your relationship to her?"

"I'm her son in law. Do you have idea what direction she went and what time she left at?"

"I know where she is at give me a moment." I opened the internet and searched for the ________ Police department's phone number then wrote it down along with the officer's name. I slipped the paper to the gentleman. "Call this number and ask for officer Samson. He can help you." The young man lowered his head to the counter of the desk and his head hit the desk with a thud.

"Do you know if she was arrested for drugs?"

"From my understanding, yes." I said quietly.

"Can I use your phone? Mine is dead."

"Sure thing" I said as I lifted the phone to the counter.

"Hi honey. I kind of found her." He paused. "No she was here but it seems she has been arrested again for drugs." He paused again. "I know, I know. Okay I will. Bye." Then he hung up the phone.

"Thank you for all your help." He said, then left.

I reported the events to my supervisor then left for the day. I never heard anything more about the elderly lady nor did I ever see her again.