silver

author's note: this fic was originally a shorter one-shot that i wrote in early 2017 (now deleted). the story references the dorm/roommate arrangements from back then. please enjoy the updated, expanded version.

----------

Hoseok is awoken from a rather shallow, fitful sleep by Kihyun gently pulling at his arm, tugging at his hand over and over again in the dark. Even without opening his eyes or moving an inch, Hoseok knows that it's Kihyun because, well, it really wouldn't be anyone else, now would it? That, plus the soft, delicate hands and the gentle hum of his sweet, honey voice are all dead giveaways, all obvious clues that it's none other than their lovely main vocalist leaning over Hoseok's bunk in the middle of the night.

If it were anyone else waking him right now, Hoseok would likely be quite annoyed, but it's different when it's Kihyun. Everything is different when it's Kihyun, and as always, Hoseok is glad to see him, especially in this particular moment, as if Kihyun had known the perfect time to wake Hoseok from the deep, dark embrace of sleep. Despite how tired Hoseok had been went he had gone to bed last night, he can't say that he's exactly been resting well.

Hoseok can't remember the details of the dream that he had been having, but he remembers the feelings, the sensations, like a rush of sticky, suffocating heat, too much heat in his mind and his body, and it must have been stressful, a terrible nightmare if his current condition is anything to go by. Hoseok's pulse still beats rapidly, his heart pounding hard, and a light sheen of sweat coats his bare chest, clings to the backs of his knees and to the soft skin between his thighs, Hoseok's hair damp and his face flushed. His legs, and his thighs barely-covered by only a pair of thin, short underwear, are all tangled up in the sheets, a clear sign that he had been tossing and turning wildly in his sleep.

Hoseok's head aches, too, and his eyelids droop heavily with lingering drowsiness, his body sore and stiff, but the comfort and the relief of waking up in his own bunk, all wrapped up warm and safe and with none other than his sweet, pretty Kihyunnie hovering over him in an unexpected late-night visit fills Hoseok with a huge, perfect swell of warmth, of fondness, his joy pulling him deep into its embrace and soothing away any and all discomfort.

Hoseok has the urge to pull Kihyun right into the bunk with him, right into his arms, to hold Kihyun close and to kiss the top of his head or the tip of his adorable nose over and over again. He dreams of such a sweet moment between them, dreams it in every corner of his heart, but he knows that they're not quite there yet, not quite ready to be that open, that...carefree about their affection for each other, particularly when they're currently not alone in this room at all.

Hoseok sighs, content nonetheless to be here, the right time, the right place, lying on his back and melting into his warm, cozy bed as Kihyun softly calls out his name, Hoseok still not opening his eyes, Kihyun taking his lack of reaction as an indication that Hoseok is not yet awake, even though he very much is. Hoseok just wants to soak it all up for a little bit longer, that's all, to let Kihyun's whispers and Kihyun's presence float around him, cover him like a cloud in his still dreamy state as he untangles his legs and slowly starts to move.

What can he say? His body has a totally instinctual reaction to Kihyun's voice, turning Hoseok over onto his side to face the edge of the bunk like Kihyun's voice is a magnet that Hoseok is inescapably drawn to, the cheap mattress and bedframe creaking under his weight as he settles into his new spot, letting out a long, deep breath that nearly lulls him right back to sleep.

It's sad, but nowadays, Hoseok rarely sees Kihyun after bedtime as their sleeping arrangements have changed since moving into this dorm, the second already since their debut. Kihyun no longer shares a bunk bed with Hoseok, an arrangement that they had maintained since their trainee days, and Hoseok misses Kihyun terribly every night now, so much that he can hardly stand it, has to go out of his way to stop himself from going to Kihyun instead. And he would, if not for the fact that he's already been scolded for it multiple times by their manager.