Chapter 3

A day after the discovery of the beacon, things wound down. Admiral Lay received O'Hara's mission reports, but the scientists continued running tests in order to double check all results. While the captain awaited new orders, he decided to give Phoenix Crew some free time on Eon.

Day stood out of her chair and tugged at her gray skirt. She and Roberts smiled at O'Hara, thanking him for the R and R. He glanced at them a second then at everyone else. They seemed to be waiting for an extra order.

"Go get ready, people. I already had Marty and Zak prep the perimeter. Have fun," O'Hara said, trying to hide a smile.

The soldiers joked and laughed about playing guard duty for the scientists and deckhands, but they were all pleased, psyched even, to get off the ship and go run around an actual, living planet. Day asked if he was joining them.

"There isn't anything else to do," he replied. "Once we're finished testing the beacon here, we'll go to Presh station, but for now...."

"Yeah," she looked at him, expectantly.

"Nothing," he smiled. "Yeah, you and Roberts head on out there. I'll see you guys in a bit."

They saluted one another. The captain watched them leave. He was the only one left on the bridge. Looking around the ascetic room, the monitors over which soldiers stood to pass out readings, the helm, the screen at the far wall; it all looked so small, cramped. After an exhalation, he marched out.

Just outside the vessel, he heard Fitzpatrick warning DeReaux that one day biting asses was going to come back and bite him in the ass. He ignored her admonitions, and as it turned out his night went rather well; word was he bedded another beauty. Fitzpatrick didn't mind one way or the other. She certainly liked him, but it was widely believed she also preferred the company of women.

Eventually, O'Hara and Day ran into each other. A quartermaster, Navigator Roberts, and Royce, who needed a break from the lab, joined them. The crew mates walked around, breathing in the scents, taking in the sights, the sounds.

"Wow... this feels so strange," Roberts remarked.

She was barely able to walk; with every couple of steps, she had to stop and gaze at golden trees, purplish hills, the brown clouds drifting overhead. Scaly-looking birds squawked. Chubby, furless rodents chewed plants, and the wind swept over them.

"It was an amazing experience the first time. It's an amazing experience now," Royce added.

"Enjoy it while you can, people. Soon as results come in, we'll have a lot of work to do," O'Hara stated.

"Don't poopoo...Captain," Day snickered.

They were all in good spirits, considering how hard it was to believe what was taking place. Eventually, Day and O'Hara found themselves walking towards the horizon, a wondrous tapestry of foliage silhouetted by the twin orbs of orange light. The others had gleaned the L.T. wanted a moment with the captain, and slowly wandered off.

"Permission to speak freely, Captain?"

"Always."

"Good, I can't describe how amazing this is. I'm glad we got duty together," Day commented, knowing full well O'Hara set it up that way.

He smiled at her, taking in every nuance of her features; her smooth complexion, emerald eyes, her soft hair. He thought back to a previous time and knew she was doing the same.

"Been awhile since we had some action, huh," he joked. She hit him in the arm and laughed. "No...I'm glad to be out here with you."

He peered into the purple sky above. The twin orbs were separating, indicating the pseudo-night was arriving, and thick shadows crept over the gray rocks in their vicinity. During the twilight months, the planet never saw real day or night, mostly, it was just what the term implied, a brightness equivalent to an overcast day on Earth followed by darkness reminiscent of early dawn.