Deathly Hollows

The flame of the candle danced in the icy cold air. Leaves hissed as they danced with the wind.

"It's cold out here," said the man with his dark brown hood concealing his face, shielding him from the piercing cold wind.

"We need to make a fire," he stood tall, his backpack was bulky and made a lot of noise with the contents inside. It sounded like cups and pots.

Gathering firewood, his companion, small but formidably built by the bulk of clothing she was wearing stood guard, watching for movement in the trees and bushes. She thought this was stupid as she was watching out for something that is nothing but a legend. A myth. But still, she thought if my master is worried then perhaps he knows something I don't.

"You are doing very well young one, just keep an eye out and training will begin soon," he said as twigs snapped and burst from the pressure of his heavy and meaty hands. Soon the fire was burning away at the broken twigs and dried up moss. The young woman was still on edge and checking the dark abyss that surrounded them within the woods and bushes, but nothing was still to be found or heard.

"Master, what was I even looking out for?" she asked.

"Something that is very dangerous and won't hesitate to make a move on us," his eyes gazed to the blackness of the night, staring, hoping to find something no doubt.

"What is it? Just some creature or wolf?" she tucked her hands into her armpits to keep them warm. The curiosity as to what was out there was biting at her.

"Your curiosity is strong young one," the man noted. "But a wise man once told me that curiosity can lead to one's downfall."

The young woman nodded and said no more. Not much could be done this night the woman knew, it was cold and damp so this made it impossible to go out hunting for food tonight. Wet soil and mossy stone mixed with leaves made this land very deadly.

The fire snapped and licked at the contents within, it consumed the twigs and moss, ike it was a starving animal. The man let out a loud sigh and beckoned closer to the woman. His sigh was grudging she noted.

"I'll tell you about the legend if you wish to hear it," he said.

"I do." She sat closer to him, the heat from the fire consuming the cold that was biting at her fingers.

She had heard enough of the legend once the man explained it to her.

"Surely it's just a tale to frighten children..."

"No, child. The legends are true." His voice hissed in the icy air.

The bushes danced with the wind, rustling was heard and rapid footsteps were heard.  The woman sat closer to the fire, shaking. Her master heard it too and was soon standing on his two feet, firmly pressed into the soil below. Light shone from the bright steel blade the man had in both hands, it was a great sword with a golden handle. Veins bulged out from his knuckles as he had a tight grip around his sword, this wasn't any old sword. It was an old relic he used often especially when he was young, the woman noted. Although rarely used in occasions like these, a fight was about to happen. She saw bright red eyes stare back at her from an old dying bush, black rotten leaves all around it.

"What is that?" she asked in disbelief.

"It's him." Her master said. "Quick, run! I will hold him off. Get to safety!"

He lifted his steel longsword and darted towards the bush, those same glowing eyes now fixated on him. The young woman did as she was told, put her back to the bushes and the yelling of her master as he sprinted to the creature. Steel and yelling were heard as she left it all behind, huffing and distant growls were heard as she kept going. She sprinted and sprinted, running for her life. As the wind blew and as silence surrounded her, a loud scream was heard in the distance along with a loud howl of anger and rage. She stopped for a heartbeat and listened. There was silence, as four black crows flew away from the their tree below and into the distant night sky...

She kept going. Never stopping, her breath was running short and a burning pain was beginning to take hold on her chest. She finally stopped to catch her breath. She then heard two voices and turned, seeing werewolf and a little boy walking alone in the darkness. This is probably some trap she thought. Moving towards them, they turned and noticed her for sure. As she got closer her footing slipped and she fell to her knees, her vision blurred. She managed to roll onto her back and sigh, seeing two faces staring down at her with worry in their face. The boy with curly hair taken her hand and the werewolf did the same. Slowly but surely, her eyelids closed allowing the darkness to consume her...