T h r e e

"Thank God I have you in P.E." I sigh as Kat and I open our newly assigned gym lockers.

"You're tellin' me, I would've died if I had to sit through this torture alone." She replies, stuffing her bag into her gym locker, and pulling out a hair-tie to throw her hair up into a pony tail.

My hair is still in its lovely messy bun, so there's nothing for me to do in that department.

"Let's go, shall we?" Kat smiles sarcastically, looping her arm through mine as we walk outside of the locker room, and into the enormous gymnasium.

I hope we don't sweat too much on the first day, being that I still have one more class left after this one. I suppose I can't be too upset though, because at least I'm not one of the unlucky ones who have P.E. for their first period class. Who the heck would want to exercise at seven in the morning? Certainly nobody that I know.

"Ladies, gather round!" A large gentlemen shouts, gaining our attention.

Kat and I jog over toward the rest of the girls, all forming one giant circle around the man in basketball shorts.

"You can call me Coach James. Welcome to gym class. This semester shouldn't be too strenuous for you, but I will be expecting you to gradually step up your game as the semester strolls along. I know none of you have gym clothes today, so today is a free day. Walk around the gym, gossip with your girly friends, do whatever you want. Tomorrow bring an appropriate pair of gym shorts, as well as a t-shirt or tank top, whichever you're most comfortable in."

The entire circle of girls stare at Coach James until he lets out an audible sigh.

"Alright, scram!"

The girls jump in surprise, but immediately begin breaking away into private groups. Kat and I rush over toward the bleachers and find seats near the top in the back.

"I love free days." Kat sighs in content as she leans against my shoulder.

"Ditto. I wish I could've brought my bag in here though, I could be doing some reading." I frown.

Kat raises an eyebrow at me, "Really? Reading? I swear we are two entirely different people." Kat chuckles as she lets her pony tail down, allowing her blonde locks to flow down her shoulders.

"Screw you, I'm brilliant in all my nerdy glory." I smirk, nudging her side playfully.

"Just because you like to read, doesn't mean you're classified as a nerd. You pretty much suck at everything else." Kat shrugs with a sly smirk on her face, causing my eyes to widen.

"Kat!"

"Am I wrong?"

I glare at her, but ultimately shake my head. "Whatever."