S e v e n

"Tinsley, you're late." Mrs. Pope says the second I walk into the classroom.

It's true, I am late.

I tried to use the restroom before class, but now I know to never make that mistake again. The restrooms were packed with girls, all trying to use the bathroom or fix their makeup. It took me almost ten minutes just to get back out into the hallway.

"I'm sorry, the restroom was packed." I say quietly, discreetly glancing over at Kat, a smirk on her face.

"Well maybe next time you'll decide to go to the restroom sooner. I typically don't allow any excuses for tardiness, but seeing as this is your first offense, I'll let it slide." Mrs. Pope announces, motioning her hand for me to finally take my seat. I wanted to argue that it wasn't necessarily my fault, because I did get to the restroom early, but I didn't want to cut into her lesson.

I also didn't want everyone in the classroom to continue starting at me, as if I were some weird scientific experiment gone wrong.

I nod and rush over and take my seat, Kat sitting directly beside me.

"Way to go." Kat mumbles under her breath, just loud enough for me to hear it.

I discreetly give her the finger while quietly pulling my notebook from my bag.

"Alright, now that I've worked a few problems with you, complete the rest on your own. Work problems five through twenty-six, and if you finish early, you may talk quietly amongst yourselves." Mrs. Pope announces after working a few of the math problems with us on the white board.

Kat and I finish our problems with ease, immediately turning to talk to each other once we're finished.

"So, is the restroom the real reason that you were late?" She asks quietly, careful not to disturb any of our other classmates.

"Yes! There were so many people in that bathroom, I thought we were going to lose oxygen." I reply, giving her a soft chuckle.

"I suppose I'll accept that answer for now." Kat shrugs.

"You'll accept it forever... because it's the truth." I deadpan, throwing my pen cap at her. She catches it with ease, gently tossing it back onto my desk.

"Whatever. What did Sawyer say after I left this morning?" Kat smiles wide, leaning a little closer toward my desk.

"Nothing of importance." I sigh, "He just knows how to thoroughly annoy me, let's leave it at that."

"We will not just, 'leave it at that'. I need deets." Kat urges while rolling her eyes at me.

"I say you don't."

"I say I do."

"I say you're more annoying than Sawyer."

"I say you're probably right. Now spill."