Chapter Six

Author's note; I'm not sure this chapter quite works, I'm not sure his character comes across enough. So I may edit it in the future.

He was born of a family of middle-class Alphas; that is to say that while they were not of the noble elite nor of the extremely wealthy, they were a well off family with good genes and prospects. He was the fourth child of his parents and went by the nickname of Zee. His father was once a Professor of physics in a university, though nowadays, he chose to teach secondary school children the subject instead and his mother was a biomedical researcher. Although they had managed to produce six children, Zee had never thought of his parents as being deeply in love. He believed theirs was a relationship of respect and amicable relations; they never fought and always appeared to be on the same page as far as money and parenting were concerned.

Rather than have a passionate love that caused bad or abrupt decisions or distracted a person from the important issues in life, Zee believed that what his parents had was better and strived to find a partner with similar interests to become the key person in his life.

And that was what he thought he had found with his girlfriend.

But as much as he liked her and trusted that they had a future, there were little things that didn't quite match with his ideals. The small, but bad habit of leaving her heeled shoes wherever she tossed them, and buying new ones as the old pair no longer matched the season, but never considering clearing out the excess. The fact that she liked specific his and hers merchandise, insisting his toothbrush be black or blue, while hers was pink or red; the same with dressing robes, slippers and pajamas even scarves, hats and gloves.  And she had a thing for emojis, using hearts, flowers or 'cute' expressions in every text and sent nonsensical, unimportant messages for no reason.

Stupid things, he didn't even know why he found them irritating, but they had become his excuses for delaying giving her the diamond ring that sat in the back of his sock drawer.

Those and that one other slight sticking point in their relationship.

Rugby. She was not a fan and didn't bother to hide the fact.

Zee's love for rugby came from his father; it was the one thing that he could say that the older man was truly passionate about and his love for it was shared with five of his six children. Zee's baby sister, Braelin, was really not one for it, but like their mother, indulged the rest of them whenever there were games available upon the television to watch. Tickets were often presents for the birthdays that happened to fall in the season. Merchandise was often gifted for Christmas. It was truly the favoured sport in the house he grew up in. It was no wonder he sought to involve himself deeper within the sport as a career.

But his girlfriend was very nonchalant about it; though she didn't express her dislike of it, it was obvious that she wasn't at all interested in it when he spoke of it outside or inside of work terms. Instead, she encouraged him to share interests.  For his last birthday, she had bought them tickets to see a play in the West End and well as booked a hotel afterwards, one that doubled as a spa. Fortunately, it also came equipped with a gym and pool, otherwise he reckoned he'd never have gotten through the weekend.

He groaned over his own selfish thoughts as he walked to the toilets as the second half of the game had started, wanting to avoid the crowds and the rush, wanting to enjoy the game in peace.  He had meant to come with 'Lani, wanted her to enjoy the game with him, but she'd had a charity event for the girls to attend.  He couldn't argue against something like that, so had seen her off with a smile.  See, he reminded himself once again, she was a good girl.  She had a good heart, was talented in her profession, was kind to animals and children.  They never argued and the sex was fine, so why was he resisting making her his wife and mother to his future kids...?