three

— 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄
( 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘊𝘖𝘜𝘕𝘊𝘐𝘓. )

ELAMIR AWOKE to the trickling of brooks and chirping of birds as her eyes fluttered open

ELAMIR AWOKE to the trickling of brooks and chirping of birds as her eyes fluttered open. She sat up on her elbows and rubbed her eyes with one of her hands. It was late, and the council was about to begin. She quickly threw the silken sheets off of her body and walked over to the wardrobe in her room. After choosing a light blue gown and pulling a few strands of her auburn hair back, she was ready.

When she arrived at the council, many had already lowered themselves into their chairs, waiting for the meeting to begin. Elamir's eyes scanned the group to find Gandalf, her old friend, sitting at the far end of the circle. He gave her a sweet smile with a nod of acknowledgement. She sent him a grin in response, looking around the group once more. Her brother sat with the other men, leaning forward on his knees and looking around restlessly. She walked across the small courtyard and sat down beside him.

"Morning, brother," she said quietly, remembering his actions the night before.

"Sister," he grunted in response, still looking around the council in a mysterious way. Elamir shook her head in disappointment in her brother, but looked up to find a pair of eyes upon her. It was Strider, the man from the night before. She raised her hand and waved her fingers in his direction softly, and he sent a smile in return.

As Elamir's gaze broke away from the mysterious man, Lord Elrond stood from his place before the gathering, "Strangers from distant lands... friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom."

His stare turned to focus on a hobbit that sat across from Elamir. Her eyes softened at the young one that was forced to carry this burden. Elrond gestured to the pedestal that sat in the middle of them all, "Bring forth the ring, Frodo."

Frodo stepped forward hesitantly, pulling the gold band out of his pocket. He made his way to the stone pedestal, setting the ring of power onto it softly. The men around Elamir gasped in surprise, never before witnessing such power and evil within their grasp. Frodo made his way back to his seat, letting out a heavy breath of air as he did so. Elamir shifted as Boromir raised his hand to his mouth.

"So it is true," he muttered under his breath. Her eyes flicked to her brother in concern before she heard a soft call of her name. She stared at the ring in shock as whispers reached her ears. Looking around the room, she saw similar looks to her own, confirming that she was not the only one hearing the voice of Sauron the deceiver.

Boromir stood up suddenly, glancing at the others in the room, "In a dream... I saw the Eastern sky grow dark. But in the west a pale light lingered. A voice was crying, 'Your doom is near at hand. Isildur's bane is found.' Isildur's bane..."

Elamir watched as her brother closed the distance between himself and the pedestal. His hand reached for the ring slowly, and just as she was about to get up to stop him, Elrond stood up with a shout, "Boromir!"

A darkness overtook the sky as Gandalf rose from his seat, raising his hands and beginning to recite the black speech that was inscribed onto the one ring, "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!"

Elamir opened her eyes as the darkness faded, and loosened her grip on the rests of the chair as the shaking ceased. She looked around the room to find men holding their heads in their hands and looking around in shock. Boromir sat down beside her once more with a fearful expression upon his face.

Elrond turned to Gandalf with anger, "Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris."

Gandalf responded breathlessly, retreating to his seat, "I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the black speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the west! The ring is altogether evil."

Boromir stood up once more, protesting the thoughts of Gandalf, "It is a gift! A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this ring? Long has my father, the steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe!"

Elamir's eyes locked with Strider as her brother continued his dangerous rant.

"Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!" Boromir exclaimed. Elamir shook her head and stood up to voice the truth about their kingdom. Strider's eyes widened as she did so.

"I stand with my brother, and my kingdom... as I will until the end of my days. But to use this weapon is a death sentence to the one who wields it, and to all of Middle Earth. This weapon is evil, as Gandalf said. And for that reason, I believe that it should not be used... it should be destroyed. If this ring is given to Gondor, all hope will be lost," Elamir announced to the council. The eyes of those before her stared, some with pride, and some with disgust at her being a woman.

Boromir looked at her with narrow eyes, anger radiating from him. Elamir looked at the ground as her brother stared at her disapprovingly. Behind him, however, Strider rose in agreement and began to speak, "I agree with Elamir, for no one can wield it. None of us can. The ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master."

Elamir gave him a nod of thanks, her lips turning upwards in an almost unnoticeable smile. Boromir stepped closer to the ranger, venom laced in his words as he spoke, "And what would a ranger know of this matter?"

Out of the corner of her eye, Elamir saw an elf rise in defense. He responded to Boromir aggressively, "This is no mere ranger! This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance."

Elamir's eyes widened in shock, and her mouth opened slightly. She turned to the man and stepped forward slightly. Aragorn's eyes flicked from Legolas to her. He stared at her with a look of both regret and discomfort... almost as if he was upset that she had found out his true personage. Her throat closed as she tried to form words, but Boromir spoke first, "Aragorn? This is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor," Legolas continued.

Aragorn turned to him and raised his hand slightly, "Havodad, Legolas (Sit down, Legolas)."

Elamir sat back in her seat, still focused on the the man who she then knew to be the true king of the land she loved dearly. Boromir turned from Legolas to Aragorn. He hissed, "Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king."

Once everyone returned to their seats, Gandalf spoke, breaking the uncomfortable silence, "Aragorn is right. We cannot use it."

Elrond took over from him to the rest of the council. He dismally continued, "We have only one choice... as Elamir said, the ring must be destroyed."

an : heyyy guys! a new chapter is up! god, the council of elrond is really long, haha. i didn't see how i could do it in one chapter so the next chapter will be focused on the formation of the followship! i hope you all enjoyed. please vote and comment your thoughts! xx