six

— 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗
( 𝘊𝘈𝘙𝘈𝘋𝘏𝘙𝘈𝘚 & 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘋𝘖𝘖𝘙𝘚 𝘖𝘍 𝘋𝘜𝘙𝘐𝘕. )

THE SLOPES OF CARADHRAS were even more difficult to brave than Elamir had imagined

THE SLOPES OF CARADHRAS were even more difficult to brave than Elamir had imagined. The steep inclines and deep snow made climbing nearly impossible. Her warm breath fogged in the frigid air as she trudged through the heavy, wet deluge. As she and her brother walked in the middle of the company, with Aragorn and Frodo behind them, they heard a quiet cry from over their shoulders. Frodo had stumbled in the snow and slid down the slope a ways.

"Frodo!" Aragorn called, stopping his fall and helping him out of the snow. He set his hands on Frodo's shoulders.

Elamir turned to see what had transpired, and rushed toward the two. As she made her way down to make sure Frodo was all right, she noticed him reach into his shirt with a kind of fervor. His head shot up in alarm, and Elamir furrowed her brows in confusion. He stared over her shoulder. She turned slowly, only to find her brother leaning down to retrieve something from the snow. It was the Ring, hanging from its silver chain. It seemed to glimmer in the pale light with a mind to deceive. Boromir lifted it up, staring at it with a look in his eye... one that struck a pang of fear through Elamir's heart.

"Boromir..." she trailed, her feet dragging through the white powder on the mountain.

Her brother brought it unnaturally close to his face, his eyes practically reflecting the gold that shone from the weapon, "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt... over so small a thing. Such a little thing..."

His other hand rose to hover over the gold band, and Elamir wanted to shout. She wanted to warn him- to break him out of the state she'd seen him succumb to a number of times... but she couldn't. She was too afraid of what she saw before her. She was afraid of losing her brother.

"Boromir!" a strong voice called from behind her, breaking Boromir out of his reverie. Aragorn stood, a suspicious and fearful look upon his face. His eyes flicked between Elamir and her brother as he continued. "Give the Ring to Frodo."

Boromir looked at his sister with an unreadable expression before taking cautious steps toward the hobbit. He chuckled, brushing off his weakness, as he passed her. Elamir watched, her head turning to watch her brother return the Ring to its bearer.

"As you wish," Boromir spoke lightly as he held the Ring out to Frodo by its chain. Frodo stared at him with a fearful look, quickly ripping the necklace from his grasp. Boromir smiled nervously. "I care not."

His eyes traveled between Aragorn and Elamir, noticing their stoic expressions. He looked down at Frodo and chuckled, ruffling the snow out of his curly locks. Frodo did not look amused. Boromir turned away from the trio, catching up with the rest of the company.