four

— 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑
( 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘍𝘌𝘓𝘓𝘖𝘞𝘚𝘏𝘐𝘗. )

THE COUNCIL WAS SILENT for a moment, the weight of this meeting finally sinking in

THE COUNCIL WAS SILENT for a moment, the weight of this meeting finally sinking in... chilling them to the core. Suddenly, a short figure stood up from the corner of Elamir's eye. It was a dwarf. He had a red beard and mop of hair that framed his face.

"What are we waiting for?" He growled. With that, he reached for his ax and raised it above his head. With two strides, he stood before the pedestal with the ring of power upon it. A yell left his lungs, and he brought the weapon down on the ring. Shards of metal littered the ground as the ax was destroyed. The force of the hit sent him flying backwards and onto the stone surface behind him. He looked up in shock at the remains.

Elamir lowered her head into her hands. The voice returned, whispering words of anger at the violence inflicted upon the ring. Her breathing quickened until the whispers ceased and she looked up at Lord Elrond.

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came," he said, anger and fear radiating in his voice. "One of you... must do this."

The council, once again, wallowed in the sound of silence. The severity of this quest dawned on them. This was no simple matter. It required strength and will beyond any one person who sat in the Council of Elrond.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor," Boromir whispered from beside Elamir, who shut her eyes in annoyance. "Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great eye... is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly."

The elf, Legolas, who had defended Aragorn not moments before, stood up in anger, "Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond just said? The ring must be destroyed!"

"And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?" The dwarf shouted from his seat. Elamir knew of the rift between the elves and the dwarves, but nevertheless was surprised at their quarrel.

"And if we fail, what then?" Boromir stood up and yelled. "What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?"

"I will be dead before I see the ring in the hands of an elf!" The dwarf spat, continuing his aggression. "Never trust an elf!"

With that, the group erupted into chaos. Each member from every race stood up and raised their voices at the other. Elamir remained in her seat, disgusted with her brother's aggression and not willing to participate in this meaningless argument. Gandalf's voice raised above the rest, shouting about the consequences of this fight and Sauron's ever growing power. But among this noise, the whispering of ancient elvish that spewed from the ring of power reached Elamir once more. She gripped the arms of her chair and leaned forward, straining her ears to listen. But before she could, the voice of the hobbit pierced the air.

"I will take it!"

The others around the room continued their shouting, not able to hear the voice of the young one.

"I will take it!" He yelled again. "I will take the ring to Mordor!"

Elamir grazed her lips with her fingers, astonished at what she was witnessing. The courage of this little hobbit was more all the others in the room combined, he being the first to volunteer for this perilous journey.

His electric blue eyes were wide with fear as they flicked around the members of the room. He whispered, "Though I do not know the way."

Gandalf stepped forward and placed a hand on his shoulder, "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear."

With that, Elamir stood from her seat. She had made her decision, and she would not falter. She made her way towards Frodo and crouched before him, "This ring is a burden that I wish you need not carry. But I can assure you that you will not carry it alone. I will come with you, Frodo Baggins."

She pat his arm with a smile, and he sent a small one in return. She rose from her crouched position and stood beside Gandalf, who nodded to her in gratitude. He knew her strength and moral fervor... he had not doubted for a second that she would come on this journey without hesitation. It was in her character.

Aragorn made his way to Frodo as well, crouching to look him in the eye, "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword."

He spoke with such sincerity that Elamir's lips twitched upwards in a small smile. Although he lived as a ranger, she could not deny that there was a kingly aura about him. He rose and stood beside Elamir. Their shoulders slightly brushed.

Legolas stepped forward in agreement, "And you have my bow."

"And my axe," the dwarf concluded. Legolas' face morphed into one of annoyance and disgust.

The group that was being formed stood behind Frodo, looking around at their companions so far. Elamir locked eyes with her brother, who stared at her with an imperceptible look from across the room. His eyes moved to Frodo, who stood before him, and he stepped forward, slowly.

"You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the council, then Gondor will see it done by the son and daughter of the sitting steward."

The brother and sister stared at each other, Elamir lowering her head in a nod of thanks. He walked towards the group, standing beside the dwarf. Suddenly, from out of the bushes, a small figure shouted and ran forward. It was another hobbit.

"Mister Frodo is not going anywhere without me!" He stood beside Frodo, his arms crossed over his chest as he feigned confidence.

Elrond looked at them in both disapproval and humor as he spoke, "Now indeed it is impossible to separate the two of you, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not."

Elamir chuckled, but that was quickly placed by surprise as two more hobbits emerged from the archway, shouting as well.

"We're coming too!" one of them yelled. "You'll have to send us tied up in a sack to stop us!"

"Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing!" The other announced.

"Well, that rules you out, Pip," The first one mumbled in front of Elamir, who could not keep a straight face even though she desperately wanted to.

"Ten companions," Elrond muttered in slight awe. "So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!"

"Great!" One of the hobbits exclaimed. "Where are we going?"

an — oh, pippin. what an innocent little hobbit. anyway! a new chapter, yayy! what did you guys think? please vote and comment your feedback. it means the world. thank you all! xx