Episode Im not keeping track

Airports are infuriating places. Even more so with a pair of toddlers and luggage enough to outfit a small platoon in tow. Keith was fairly certain they could have shipped the luggage for much cheaper than whatever Maria paid to put it on the plane. He had a feeling there would be less chance of it getting lost too. But she didn't want to take the bother. She was not the one who had to carry it. That was Keith's job. Then it would be Marco's when her eldest son came to pick her up in New York. At least it meant Keith didn't have to be responsible for the twins. At first anyway. The luggage drop off freed his hands with hours left on the wait till her flight so there was still time for that. Thankfully, Lance was doing a decent job of keeping them on a short leash. Literally. He got disapproving looks from strangers for the thick strapped harnesses that tied both boys to a few feet of nylon leash securely attached to his belt but at least he wasn't going to lose them in the crowd.

Keith didn't need children or luggage to have a bad day at the airport though. He had shrapnel under his skin for that. Pressing crowds, suffocating noise, fluorescent lights, and mind boggling inefficiency all paled in comparison to the aggravation of metal detectors. Not that Keith enjoyed those other things but he was at least used to them. A simple trip to the grocery store could include all four. But it was not every day that he had to face the threat of a strip search for setting off a metal detectors' alarm. No matter how many times he warns them about it, security is never chill about that red light on their little machine. Years ago Keith was not chill about their reaction to it but a single cavity search was more than enough to teach him two very important lessons. First. Don't fuck with security. Second. Stay home.

It had been five years since the last time Keith had braved the gauntlet to stand in an airport terminal. Not much had changed. It was a little cleaner. There were a few more shops. Conveniences. But it was still a miserable holding pen for irritable masses. Certainly not worth the tense accusations and awkward explaining required to convince the metal detectors' attendants that the smattering of metal bits across his left side were nothing to worry about. Just slag and a metal plate in his skull. Keith had no idea how Shiro dealt with it so easily and as often as he traveled. But then Shiro's metal was a lot more obvious. And Shiro was a lot better with people. Sometimes Keith envied that. But jealousy did no one good so he let it go.

Maria taught him that. To let things go. Shiro had tried when they were both much younger but it was Maria that finally got through his thick skull. That had been a difficult time for Keith. Fresh off the field. Just after losing his whole team to an IED that nearly took his legs as well, left him with the shrapnel and pain. Doctors weren't sure he'd ever walk again. He needed time to heal. Someone to help him. Shiro tried but Shiro had other obligations. A wife, kid, a job. Keith refused to let Shiro neglect them for his sake. He was fine. He'd be fine. He didn't need anyone. He never had. Never would. It was stubborn pride of course. Something else Maria taught him to let go of. Mostly. But it was also necessity. Keith had no one to help him. He was alone. He'd been alone most of his life. Just another latch key kid from just another broken home. Shiro was the only one he could count on and he'd been in high school when they met. Keith was used to being alone.

He'd been angry at first when Maria picked him up from the hospital. Keith hadn't told Lance about any of it. Not the explosion, nor the injury, not even coming back state side. He didn't want Lance to see him like this. Beaten. Bruised. Broken. Lance couldn't help so why burden him with it? Keith wasn't used to having people that cared. He didn't understand what being a family meant. Maria taught him that too. Shiro had called her. He knew Keith needed help and that she wouldn't abandon her youngest son's longest running partner. No matter how she felt about the relationship. She was a mother. And a nurse. She couldn't turn her back on a boy in such obvious need.

Keith owed Maria so much. Which is the only reason he was sitting in the uncomfortable airport chair at her side, waiting for her plane to come in. She'd sat with him through much worse. The least he could do is keep her company while her son let the twins drag him around the waiting area, going from one overpriced shop to another and touching everything they could reach. It kept them entertained though and maybe they'd wear themselves out before the flight. Probably best for everyone if they slept through it. Lance just had to keep up and hope they didn't break anything. A quiet crash from the last shop they'd disappeared into dispelled that hope.