Chapter Fourteen

Somewhere in the distance, the clock struck the midnight hour and Westman gazed at Sophie. Her eyes grew a little wider, and he was certain she must have seen inside his mind and read his thought. Yet she didn't move away. In fact, it seemed like she wanted him to do it. The realisation made his heart beat twice as fast.

If Jim didn't desire to shoot him before, he certainly would after this. But despite Westman's misgivings, his gaze settled on her lips and he began to lower his face to hers. A sudden commotion from the banquet hall wrenched him back to reality, and he looked around, astonished to see a bird careering up the path towards their heads.

"Look out!" he shouted and shielded Sophie from danger.

The bird missed them by inches and swerved up into the air before swooping once more - this time towards the summerhouse. With an unnerving shriek, it smashed through the glass.

"What the devil?" he whispered, exchanging a look with Sophie. "Come on."

He took her hand and led the way to the scene of the accident. When the tinkling of shattered glass had faded, they discovered a jagged hole in the window of the summerhouse.

"Uncle Broom," she remembered.

"Professor?" Westman called.

From within the damaged shelter, they heard his voice. "I'm in here. I think you should send for medical assistance."

"Are you hurt?" Sophie asked.

Without waiting for a reply, she hurried into the summerhouse. Westman followed, almost slamming into her when she stopped in front of him.

She gasped. "What happened?"

Professor Penderry knelt beside the limp body of a young woman.

The bird forgotten, Westman strode forward to help. "Is she alive?"

"Yes, just unconscious."

Westman sank to one knee and shoved aside the thick blonde hair that covered her scratched face. "My God," he murmured and felt a weight drop to the pit of his stomach. "Tabitha."

"You know her?" the professor asked in surprise.

"Yes. How did this happen?"

"I wish I knew. I was examining the birds in the aviary over there when I heard an almighty smash. That's when I turned around and found the girl. It was as though she'd fallen through the window."

"The bird broke the window," explained Westman.

"What bird?"

"The one that almost took our heads off a moment ago - out in the garden - before it flew into the glass. Tabitha must have already been here."

But why? What on Earth was she doing here? To Westman, it made no sense.

"My dear boy, I can assure you there was nobody here."

"Look," said Sophie.

She pointed at the floor and Westman's gaze followed. A golden chain shone in the moonlight. The same chain that Lady Henriette's bird wore. With a frown, he picked it up and followed the length to Tabitha's ankle. Realisation dawned upon him.

"Damn me. It was Tabitha. She was the bird."

The professor's brow cinched. "Whatever do you mean?"

"It must be some sort of enchantment." Westman turned to the sound of distant voices. Several guests strode towards the summerhouse. "Quickly," he said and winced when he lifted Tabitha's wilted body. Despite the discomfort in his side, he hoisted her in his arms. "We need to take her somewhere safe."