XVI. LONELINESS

Bucky and Aiyla didn't speak a word to each other in the next few days. Or rather, Bucky didn't speak a word to her for the next few days. She talked to him in the mornings, saying the usual greetings they had shared before but he hummed something under his breath or nodded at her before doing something else. After a while, she had stopped trying to reach out to him, especially since Sam was always near.

It wasn't that she didn't like Sam, he seemed like a decent person and he knew about her life anyway, but she didn't want to make up with Bucky while having Sam listen in their conversation. She felt like this was something personal, and she really wished she had a few moments with Bucky alone so she could talk to him, but these moments were a rarity and Sam was never far away.

Despite the slight tension in the air, though, things were alright. Sam was certainly trying his best, and so far, Aiyla could say it was working. He had a peculiar bond with Bucky, that was true, but they still got along somehow and between the teasing remarks and the slightly offensive quips here and there, she felt a bit more welcome.

Sam had become someone she trusted in just a few days. They did some things together, and already, she had grown used to his presence and the things he usually did. One of these things was to wake up everyone the moment he woke up as well, which was usually quite early in the morning.

And this morning was no exception.

Aiyla had been having a dream - something rather rare at this point - when she was woken up by the groaning of the door as it opened, followed by a gentle call of her name, "Aiyla?"

She hummed in response as she rolled to the side, opening her eyes just slightly to see Sam standing in front of the open door with a wide smile. "It's morning already?"

Her grumble only brought his smile to widen as he nodded. Aiyla closed her eyes once more. "You're getting up, right?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"No, not really."

She heard the door groaning as it closed and his footsteps getting away, and with a small sigh, Aiyla pushed herself up and reached blindly for the light switch. The sudden intrusion of light hurt her eyes but she forced herself to start with her day. She got dressed in comfortable clothes, set her hair into the usual messy bun as she did every morning and with a small yawn, left the room.

Voices were coming from the kitchen that stopped as soon as she got near. She sent a brief smile at Bucky and then Sam as she got inside and sat down on a chair.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," Sam chuckled at his own joke and her smile widened slightly as she looked up at him. "These bruises from the other day are fading."

"I'd hope so, it's been a week," she mumbled as he handed her over a cup of coffee. Her smile widened. "Thank you."

"I'll go for a run."

Aiyla snapped her gaze up to Bucky, her eyes wide. "That's not safe."

"He won't get far," Sam assured her, "besides, he can defend himself if anything happens, which I doubt it will."

Aiyla didn't seem convinced. She looked from Bucky to Sam and back, and then, with a small sigh, she nodded. "Alright. You won't be gone for long, though?"

He held her gaze for a long time it seemed before he nodded. "I won't."

Sam clapped his hands and Aiyla jumped. "Good to see we've come to an agreement. In the meantime, we're going to train."

She rolled her eyes slightly, "I was so sure you'd say that."

Bucky left a while later, leaving Aiyla and Sam alone to sit around the table and sip what was left of their coffee. She had actually drank her own coffee a while ago, but she still kept her hands around her mug, a faraway look in her eyes as she looked at a wall. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't really register Sam watching her.