Chapter 4: Day 2

Petra's POV

"Ral" My captain interrupted me as I was working with my gadgets to get our communications back. He sat beside me, leaning his back at the walls but I noticed that his eyes were darted towards doctor Zoe who is sitted far from us. I can't see her expression due to our distance and the only thing that I can observe on her face is the luminous glasses that reflected the light emitted by the small fire inside the warehouse. Captain is not wearing his military jacket too and I could only conclude that the doctor has it on her right now.

"Got any updates with the headquarters?" He asked, looking at my laptop.

"No sir. The line is really messed up" I said pressing one key over the keyboard, only to be greeted by another failed attempt. I sighed and just closed it. To be honest, I have been working on this for hours since I really want to get our contact back from the headquarters. Especially right now that we encountered a problem with our vehicle, we are definitely in need of reinforcements. But asking for it would really require us to get hold of them, which is unattainable especially with our current situation.

My captain let out a breath. Using his elbows that was placed above his knees as support, he stood up from the floor and dusted his pants. "Go and talk with our doctor first" He said looking at me directly. "We can't present her to the council on that state because they might just dispose her. She looks too out of character right now and the higher ups might think that she has totally lost it" He instructed me which I answered with a salute. Captain left afterwards to go back to his previous spot which is near the barricaded doors. It has a huge glass window beside it where captain is situated, his smg just right beside him. He is ready to fire its load if things got too ugly, much to our assurance.

Following my captain's orders, I stood up from the floor and tucked my gadgets back to my bag. My main role in every operation is securing the communications and offering medical assistances. But in some occasions, I also get to kick some bastard's asses so it is quite a satisfying job for me. But in all honesty, I never really wanted to join the special forces. I just wanted to be beside my captain which I have been eyeing for years already. He was one of my reasons why I joined the army when I could just start my career on medicine. However, it seems like it would be impossible for me and him since he is too busy offering his life to the country and to humanity.

I zipped my bag and leaned it better on the wall, before I walked towards our rescuee. She is sitting on the floor, hugging her legs at her chest and her head bowed low above her knees. She didn't flinch when I sat beside her but instead, doctor Zoe just kept her previous position. For minutes we were silent as I tried to think of ways how I could open a conversation with her while the doctor just kept unmoving on her spot.

"Don't try to talk to me for now" I heard her whisper which made me turn towards her. Doctor Zoe raised her head and then she looked at me directly, her face reflecting so much agony, mixed with fatigue and sadness.

"I can't do that" I smiled at her. "Especially when you are in that state" I said but Doctor Zoe just bowed her head low once again on her knees. "I have been in this field for 7 years already and I have seen that expression for countless of times on my comrade, my enemy.... and even myself" I let out a short bitter laugh. She looked at me by tilting her head a bit from its position above her knees. "You have lost someone, haven't you?" I asked and I saw her flinch when I opened the delicate topic. Doctor Zoe bit her lips and rose her head up as if she wants to prevent the tears on her eyes to fall. After a few moments, she nodded and looked at me with a sad smile.

"I.... I thought that I could save him" She said, wiping the corner of her eyes using the sleeves of my captain's jacket. She is wearing it right now, just above her black tank top.