Chapter 13: Roadside Diner

Levi's POV

I reloaded my gun and then I jumped behind the nearest bush. I only have a few clip left and Hanji seems like she's having the same crisis. Around us is still a number of undeads and they seem to continuously appear eventhough we have already killed most of them. We are just literally wasting our ammo and if we continue this, we might face a much more difficult problem.

I looked at my side where Hanji is leaning against a tree. She is panting while holding her gun to her chest, making sure that she isn't creating any noise to attract the undeads.

"Hanji!" I whispered-yell at her. She turned her head at my direction and mouthed 'what'. I was about to instruct her a plan when a loud bang cracked in the air, followed by a string of purple smoke. It is a signal flare and judging by its color, the sender needs some help. I once again looked at Hanji and when she nodded, we immediately ran forward to the direction where the flare originated. The undeads saw our movements so they trailed behind us. We don't have ny choice right now but to sprint forward because if we stop to kill them all, we'll be overran.

"How much farther is that thing?!" Hanji complained as she jumped over a huge root of a tree.

"I'm not sure but if you want to live then just continue running!" I said as we both turned a corner. As we ran forward, the trees became lesser and the sky is starting to appear since the crown is not covering it that much anymore. The surroundings is becoming brighter by the help of the moon and it lessened my fear of being caught undefended because I can clearly see it now if an undead would suddenly jump at me.

After a few more steps, we arrived at an abandoned diner at the side of the road. Signs of the purple smoke still lingers in the air so I'm sure that this is the place where the flare was fired. I carefully stepped out of the forest and crossed the road with Hanji behind of me, being as cautious as I am. When we reached the door of the diner, I tapped the glass lightly as I took a peek inside. Then I opened it carefully until I fully got inside.

"There seems to be no one in here Levi" Hanji said as she looked from the door.

"We can't be sure. That flare is something that the other army uses. It can't just be fired easily" I replied as I continued looking around.

"You are right" A new voice remarked. "For a member of the special force, you are quite bright kid"

My eyes widened and I immediately looked behind of me which is in the direction where Hanji is standing earlier. A man is now holding her close to himself while pointing a knife right at her neck. Hanji kept on struggling at the man's grasp but she immediately stopped when he pushed the knife closer to her. She let out a yelp which made my whole body flinch.

"Let her go" I said coldly and then I pointed my gun at him.

"I will only let her go if you give me all your ammo, your equipment, guns, and supplies" He said pointing the knife closer. The tip touched Hanji's neck and I saw a drop of blood escape from the puncture. The sight made me even more angry.

"I. Said. Let. Her. Go" I told him with a gritted teeth. He glared back at me and shook his head.

"No" He said which made me hiss. I didn't waste any moment and I immediately fired my gun, shooting him in the head the moment he replied. Hanji screamed in shock when the gun was fired and she fell on her knees the same time as the body also landed on the ground. Her eyes were opened wide and she was clearly shaking. I strapped my gun to myself and then I kneeled at her.

"Come on" I said, pulling her up from her spot.

"Why the hell did you do that?!" She yelled at me with shaking voice. Her eyes were watery as she stared at me and the sight of her made me feel a bit guilty.