Chapter 14: Friendship

Armin's POV

I stared blankly at my hands and everything around me seemed to be at blur. The sounds have gone quiet, the world had slowed down and all I can feel is my grandfather's last warm grasp on my hands. How his old, calloused palms made contact with mine before he went out of the hq along with the other volunteers.

After 3 years of serving in the army, this is the first time that I saw my grandfather again. He was one of the civilians that were rescued after the virus broke out but earlier this morning, I had to lose him again. With Commander Smith's absence in the headquarters, only the other higher ranked soldiers led the place. And in order to solve the problem with our food consumption and resources, they have decided to sacrifice a number of civilians to accompany the deployed soldiers outside the city. No weapons, no supplies, no protection. They were just kicked out of the place in their most vulnerable state.

My grandfather was one of those unfortunate civilians.

"Armin" My whole body shook when a woman's voice called my name. I looked at my side, seeing Mikasa staring at me with worry.

"I'm fine" I smiled. "Where is Eren by the way?" I asked, hiding my hands under the table.

Mikasa bit her lip as her eyes became clouded with sadness. "He volunteered for the clean up squad and now, they are on their way out of the hq" Her voice sounded little as she said those words. "I tried to atleast go with him but he pushed me away"

I sighed. That is typical Eren for you. I don't really know sometimes if he is pushing Mikasa away in order to protect her or if he really want to do things according to how he wants to. But it saddens me that this action of him is making my friend sad and I got nothing left to do but to comfort her.

"God, I'm so hungry" Sasha said as she slumped down on her chair, making both Mikasa and I to look at her. She also catched the other soldiers attention on the table when she suddenly sat while uttering those words in her usual loud voice. She just did the patrol around the hq with Connie and Jean and I bet that doing all those walkings made her really hungry. She is a glutton after all so spending even a little of the sugar she intaked is already devastating for her.

"Shut up you idiot" Jean said as she smacked the back of her head. Sasha hissed because of the action. "You are so loud. Can't you see that most people here are trying to relax because of today's tasks?" He reprimanded her while he sat at one of the chairs. Jean grabbed a cup afterwards to pour himself some water.

"But I am so hungry right now. I don't think I can even walk a meter because of that" Sasha overreactingly said as she pushed herself on the table, laying almost half of her body on the surface. Her hand accidentally nudged Jean's cup caused his drink to spill.

"Why you-" Jean stood up and was about to smack her again when a loud ringing errupted at the hq. Everyone panicked at the sound, including us who immediately grabbed our guns.

"T-this is HQ" A voice said from the radio "we have been overran. I repeat, we have been overran. Evacuate as soon as you can in the underground quarters in five minutes" He finished and as if on cue, I heard screaming from the other side of the place. People started running around and most of them bumped themselves on us. They are really desperate to escape.

"O-overran?" Connie said, stuttering. "That is impossible! We did the patrol. The hq was fine!" He said as he clutched his head.

"That is not the case anymore. We have to help in the evacuation" Jean said then he ran forward, towards the pool of people.

"W-wait!" Sasha screamed in panic as she ran after Jean. Connie hissed and did the same, following his two friends who already went in action.

I looked at Mikasa as I pulled the slide of my gun. "Lets go. We have to help them too" I told her but Mikasa just stood frozen on her spot. Her eyes was darted from the place where most people are running away from. "Mikasa?" I called for her attention. She flinched and then she looked at me with horror.