four

Elena slammed her locker, muttering furiously as it jammed shut.

"Need some help?" She heard the soft voice behind her and smiled.

"Mm, yes please!"

Stefan banged the locker as it moved again, then smiled as it closed smoothly.

"What's on your mind that's got you so riled up?"

"Hmm. The fact that the hybrid that's trying to kill me now has a twin sister and a whole family coming for me? Nah. That's not it."

"Elena, nothing will happen to you. I will make sure of it." Stefan said, hugging Elena, running his hands through her hair.

His eyes then wandered to the group of giggling girls walking down the hallway. Immediately, he tensed.

"Oh god. You have got to be kidding."

"What? What is it?" Elena said, and gasped as she turned around.

The whole school turned around as the blonde walked through the hallways, her hair up perfectly, her blue eyes glittering and her dimples popping.

She had her arms linked with Caroline, and a whole army of popular brats behind her, girls that used to parade with Elena when she was popular.

"Oh Nikki! I almost forgot, this is Elena, my best friend. Elena, this is Nikol."

"So I see." Elena said through grit teeth.

Nikol smirked, then turned around to the crowd.

"You should all get going. You don't want to be late for class. Plus, I'd like to introduce myself to Elena."

She turned back to Elena with a sweet smile, contrasting to the frowning brunette.

"Compelled yourself some friends?"

"No. You see, after you fell from your throne as the most popular girl, these girls were in serious need of a new leader. Preferably one who wasn't a whining brat all the time." Nikol raised a brow at Elena, who fumed.

"I suppose Caroline is under your compulsion too?"

"No. I don't compel. But I'd love to compel you to fly away and never come back. Unfortunately, my brother has plans for you."

"He'll never get me."

"Don't be so sure Helena. Whoops, I meant Elena. Did you know that Elena is derived from the name Helen? As in Helen of Troy? Her story was so tragic."

"But anyway. Enough of moping. My first class is...ah! History! And we all have it together. Exciting."

"It sure is." Elena said through clenched teeth as Caroline looked, confused.

"I'll explain later." Elena mouthed as she watched Nikol link with her boyfriend, asking him to direct her to the classroom.

Elena realised how good they looked together and hoped that Stefan wouldn't fall for her. They were both tall and slim, and looked like supermodels. It would be impossible for him not to fall for her. But Elena had to trust her boyfriend, the way Stefan trusted Elena to not fall for Damon.

"That Nikol needs to get out of here as fast as she came her. We need to find a way to kill her and Klaus. For good."

Meanwhile, Stefan guided the blonde into their history class, his body tense compared to the girl relaxing on him.

"I don't know what you're doing Nikol, but it's not gonna work. I'll do anything to protect Elena."

"God! Enough about boring little Elena. She's seriously starting to get on my nerves. She's acting so tough yet needs to Salvatores and the whole of Mystic Falls to protect her. How pathetic."

"You barely know Elena and you hate her. Interesting."

"She's the spitting image of Katerina. I have every right to. And don't start poking your nose in business you wouldn't understand Stefano." She spat, turning around to look Stefan in the eye.

"You don't want to be associated with us. Because once you become one of us, there's no way out. Now. Where do you sit?"

Stefan nodded at his seat and sat down, Nikol sitting right besides him as his breath hitched.

"Elena is not gonna like that." He whispered as Nikol rolled her eyes.

"Last time I checked, we're the superior species who have power over her. Don't let your feelings interfere with that Stefan."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Shh. Class is starting." As soon as Nikol silenced Stefan, Elena walked in, and she instantly spotted Nikol in her seat, and walked over furiously.

"Excuse me! That's my seat."

"Um, Elena, the seats for the no bodies are in the back. Sorry. I thought it'd be better if you were there." Nikol said sweetly as Stefan sympathised with Elena with his stares.

"Bitch." She muttered underneath her breath and she stomped to the back of that class, sitting down on her seat.

"At least I'm an alive bitch." Nikol smirked as Mr Saltzman stood up.

"Now, who remembers which group of people found Mystic Falls?"

Nikol put her hand up and smiled.

"The Vikings."