SPIN

SPIN

Calum

Calum liked being disconnected from his past.

He used drugs to detach himself.

But there weren't any drugs in this stupid asylum, so he was stuck in the cell with his demons.

The asylum was making him crazy.

Too often, he found himself curled up in a corner, hands pressed over his ears, rocking back and forth, screaming until someone ran in.

He missed his mother.

He hated his father.

"Calum, we can't help you if you don't tell us what's haunting you," Dr. Radar said sadly.

Calum rocked back and forth in the corner. "Nothing's haunting me," he lied, wrapping his arms tight around his legs, which were pulled up against his chest.

Dr. Radar said, "Calum, don't lie to me. I want to help you as much as I can, but I can't until you tell me what's wrong."

Calum whispered, "My past is wrong."

"Is it related to your substance abuse?"

Calum nodded slowly, curling tighter. "Yes."

"Do you use the drugs to forget?"

"Y-yes."

"Forget what?"

Calum buried his face in the space between his chest and knees. "My father," he choked out, starting to shake.

Dr. Radar was silent for a moment. "Your father, huh?"

Calum nodded. "Y-y-yes..."

"Did he hurt you?"

Calum raised his bleary eyes, tears running down his cheeks. "Y-yeah."

"How?"

Calum took a deep, shaky breath. "H-he hurt m-me, and h-he l-left bruises e-everywhere..." He choked, and his eyes widened, suddenly overcome with the image of his mother lying on the floor. "I DIDN'T WANT HER TO GET HURT!"

"Calum, please, tell me what's wrong!" Dr. Radar pleaded.

Calum shook his head violently, completely lost. "No! No, no, I can't! He said he'd kill me if I told anyone! He'll kill me! I don't want to die!" he shrieked, clamping his hands over his ears again and rocking back and forth, agitated. His face scrunched up. "I can't! I don't want to die! He'll find out I told you! He'll come and get me!"

"He won't!" Dr. Radar cried out, but Calum couldn't hear him.

He could only hear his father's rough voice growling in his ear.

If you tell anyone about this, I'll get you a lot more painfully than with a gun.

Calum cringed.

His father had thought that he was a screw up, and that it was his mother's fault.

All because when he'd tried to read a book, the letters kept spinning around and switching on him.

His father hadn't liked that.