Ch.1

(Cat above is Wolfpaw, drawn by me!)

The wind whipped at Wolfpaw's fur as he crouched over the forest floor, taking in the scents around him. Suddenly a rabbit climbed out of it's home. Excitement rippled through him. If I can manage to catch this, it'll be my first rabbit!

The plump rabbit sniffed at the grass while Wolfpaw watched, waiting for the right moment. His prey, oblivious to the fact that it was being watched, turned away trying to find more food to eat. Feeling that this was the right time, Wolfpaw crouched lower, ready to pounce. He reared back and leapt but before he could land, the rabbit scurred back into its home causing Wolfpaw to fall to the ground.

Mousedung! I was so close. Wolfpaw rose to his paws, shaking the dust from his dark gray and white pelt.

"Hey, Wolfpaw!"

Wolfpaw turned around to see Neetlepaw slipping through a bush. The brown tabby apprentice was Wolfpaw's closest friend. They always hunted together, trained together, and patrolled together.

"Hi, Neetlepaw." Wolfpaw grumbled.

"What's wrong?" Neetlepaw asked.

"I almost caught a rabbit. It would've been my first one and Stormleap would've been impressed." Wolfpaw replied.

Neetlepaw let out a purr of amusement. "Stormleap will be proud of what you caught. It's not like it's leaf-bare."

Wolfpaw let out a small purr of amusement. "Where are your catches?"

"I burried them." Neetlepaw explained. "I wanted to see how you were doing."

Wolfpaw smiled. "Well, I'm ready to go back. I have some prey I burried too."

"Great! Come on." Neetlepaw mewed.

The two apprentices began trekking back to camp, stopping along the way as Wolfpaw and Neetlepaw collected their burried prey. As they slipped through the thorn tunnel, a large gray tabby tom approached them.

"How was your hunt?" He asked.

"It was great, Stormleap." Wolfpaw told his mentor.

"Good." Stormleap mewed. "Drop off your catches and go rest. We'll be leaving for the gathering soon."

The two apprentices nodded and raced to the fresh kill pile. They dropped their prey off then turned and head to the apprentices' den. Outside the den, sat two more of ShadowClan's apprentices. Toadpaw, one of the younger toms, and Hawkpaw, Neetlepaw's brother.

"Hi, Toadpaw. Hi, Hawkpaw." Wolfpaw greeted.

"Hi." The two toms greeted back.

"Has Antstar announced the cats going to the gathering?" Neetlepaw asked. 

"Not yet." Hawkpaw replied. "Even if we don't go, Pinepaw can tell us what happened. He always gets to go."

Neetlepaw rolled his eyes as Hawkpaw mentioned their other brother. "Of couse. He's the medicine cat apprentice."

Wolfpaw let out a small laugh at his two friends. He anticipated his leader announcing the cats attending. His siblings, Batpaw and Owlpaw had gotten to go last time but he hadn't. Hopefully I'll get to go tonight.

"Wolfpaw!"

Wolfpaw shook his head in surprise. A lithe blue gray she cat had slipped out of the apprentices' den and was now sitting in front of him.

Wolfpaw licked his chest fur in embarrassment. "I'm sorry, Jaypaw. What did you say?"

"I asked if you wanted to train together tomorrow." Jaypaw mewed. "Or at least hunt together."