Ch. 16

(Cat above is Cricketleap)

Sunlight filtered through the trees, casting dappled shadows on the forest floor as Wolfstorm padded along, his gaze fixed on the ground ahead.Cricketleap was at the head of the patrol with Mossleaf and Dawnmoon following closely behind.

"How are you holding up back there?" Cricketleap called over his shoulder, a hint of sarcasm lacing his words, directed at the slightly lagging Wolfstorm.

Wolfstorm's ears flicked back in annoyance, his tail twitching with impatience. If he knows what's good for him, he'll get this patrol over with. I have somewhere to be.

He looked up at the sky. The sun was slowly drifting down, but not fast enough for Wolfstorm's liking. As they continued their patrol, their paws carrying them along the familiar paths, the scent of ThunderClan grew stronger with each step, indicating they had narrowly missed a neighboring patrol.

"Dawnmoon and I will take care of marking the borders," Cricketleap announced, his voice confident and commanding. "Wolfstorm and Mossleaf, you two can go hunt."

"On it!" Mossleaf responded eagerly, bounding off into the undergrowth, her tail held high.

Wolfstorm's eyes followed her, a flicker of disdain crossing his features. Enthusiasm was a quality he found tiresome, a trait he believed had secured Mossleaf a place on the patrol. But little did she know, her innocence and naivety would soon become tools in his twisted game.

He descended into the bushes, opposite of where Mossleaf had gone. He opened his mouth to taste the air and picked up the scent of some nearby prey. As he scoped the area, a shrew scurried out of the underbrush carrying a small seed in its paws. Wolfstorm crouched low to the ground and gently crept forward. The shrew looked up for a moment, it's attention alert, but it was to late as Wolfstorm leapt and clamped his oaws around the anall animal, killing it with a swift bite to the neck.

A surge of exhilaration coursed through his veins as he felt the shrew's life drain away beneath his grasp. He released his hold, allowing the limp body to fall to the forest floor. The taste of power mingled with the metallic tang of blood on his tongue, an intoxicating combination that fueled his growing hunger.

As he stared down at the shrewMs lifeless body, Wolfstorm heard a rustling in the bushes nearby. He tensed his muscles, ready to attack whatever was lurking in the underbrush. A low growl rumbled in his throat as he waited until Mossleaf emerged, who had returned with her own catch. Wolfstorm let his body relax and approached her, his expression carefully composed, and dropped the shrew at her paws.

"Nice catch," he meowed, attempting to sound nonchalant.

Mossleaf's eyes gleamed with pride as she flicked her tail in delight. "Thanks! Did you catch anything?"

Wolfstorm nodded, a small smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Just a shrew. Let's head back."

Together, they made their way back to the rest of the patrol, Cricketleap and Dawnmoon patiently marking the border scents. Cricketleap's gaze shifted to the fresh prey dangling from Mossleaf's jaws, a glimmer of approval in his eyes. Then his attention turned to Wolfstorm, his gaze narrowing ever so slightly.

"Fine catches, both of you," Cricketleap praised, his voice a blend of authority and satisfaction.

Wolfstorm gave a low huff. Cricketleap put on more authority to himself than he had. He was not too much older that Wolfstorm but not to where he would be considered a senior warrior. Don't give me your praise. You're not my mentor.