Ch.7

(Cat above is Beestripe)

Wolfpaw starred in astonishment. Jaypaw's eyes were open though they looked close to closing, showing exhaustion in the young cat. Her body was masked with scars and her right ear had cobwebs and leaves wrapped around it. She was alive! But what had happened to her?

Out of the corner of his eye, Wolfpaw saw Antstar approached the two ThunderClan warriors with Dewspark, Icestep, and webshade behind him. "Whiskerfall, Beestripe." he then turned to Jaypaw. "welcome back, Jaypaw."

Icestep padded up to Beestripe and held still as Whiskerfall helped Jaypaw crawl onto her mentor's back. "Welcome home, my apprentice." Icestep mewed, affectionately.

Jaypaw let out a small purr and rested her head on his back. "Thanks, Icestep."

Icestep smiled as Rainfeather and Pinepaw emerged from their den. Icestep followed them back inside, Webshade following. Wolfpaw turned his eyes back to Antstar and the two ThunderClan cats. "What happened? Why was Jaypaw with ThunderClan?" Antstar inquired.

"We were patrolling when we found her. A fox was attacking her. She had already been scarred up pretty bad so we chased the fox away but before we could get any information from her, she collapsed." Whiskerfall explained. "She needed to see a medicine cat right away and we were closer to our camp than ShadowClan's. Juniperleaf took care of her wounds. She told us Jaypaw would have to stay in her den until she was well enough to move."

"We were told this morning that Jaypaw could go back to ShadowClan" Beestripe added. "Juniperleaf wanted us to mention that Jaypaw still needs to rest and stay off her duties."

Dewspark dipped his head, excusing himself. "I'll go let Rainfeather know."

The russet tom padded away and disappeared into the medicein den. Antstar respectfully dipped his head to the two warriors. "Thank you for helping Jaypaw and for bring her home. Give Juniperleaf and Emberstar our thanks. Safe travels back to ThunderClan."

"Thank you" Whiskerfall meowed.

He and Beestripe dipped their heads then turned on their heels and slipped through the thorn tunnel. Wolfpaw began padding to the medicine den but halted. Jaypaw just returned meaning she was probably tired. He remembered seeing exhaustion in her normally bright blue eyes. The den was most likely crowed, having a medicine cat, two apprentices, two warriors and the deputy inside. I'll visit her tomorrow.  

He turned around and padded toward the apprentices' den. His anxiety had had kept him on edge all day.  He was looking forward to curling up in his nest and closing his eyes.

*

*

When Wolfpaw awoke, weak sunlight was flowing through the brambles, rippling like water on the sandy earth. Immediately he thought of Jaypaw.  He padded from the warm moss, scenting the warm air. His belly rumbled.

Neetlepaw lay in his nest, eyes closed. As Wolfpaw stirred, he lifted his nose. "Going to see Jaypaw?" He got to his paws and stretched, curling his tail till it shivered.

"I'm hungry," Wolfpaw confessed. "But yes, I'm going to see Jaypaw. I'm going to eat with her." 

Wolfpaw fetched a mouse for himself and a vole for Jaypaw because he knew it was her favorite. When he entered the medicine den, he was glad to find Jaypaw awake. Pinepaw was reapplying fresh cobwebs to her ear while Rainfeath organized their herb storage. Jaypaw looked up when she noticed him, her eyes sparkling.

"Welcome home." Wolfpaw mewed, patting the vole towards her. "I thought you might be hungry."

"Thanks, Wolfpaw." Jawpaw meowed. She pulled the vole closer to her, a joyful purr rumbling in her chest. "Vole! You know me so well."

Wolfpaw smiled and layed in front of her as they ate their kill. When he finished, he licked his paws and gave his face a quick wash. "Is what Whiskerfall said true? You were attacked by a fox?"

Jaypaw swallowed the last bit of her vole before nodding. "It came out of nowhere. I tried to fight it myself but it was to strong for me. I'm thankful that ThunderClan patrol showed up. I'd probably be in StarClan Right now if it wasn't for them."

Wolfpaw's stomach churned. No cat had told her that Antstar had claimed her to be dead or that they held a vigil for her. He shift nervously on his paws.

"Did Rainfeather or Pinepaw tell you?" He asked.

Jaypaw tilted her head to the side. "Tell me what?"

"After we couldn't find you after days of searching, Antstar concluded you to be dead." Wolfpaw explained. "We held a vigil for you."

Jaypaw's eyes dropped to her paws. Wolfpaw cursed under his breath. I shouldn't have told her.
He padded over and curled up beside her.

"That doesn't matter though." He mewed. "You're alive and back in ShadowClan."

"I know." Jaypaw sighed. "I-I'm still just a little in shock by everything."

"Which is why you need to rest." Rainfeather chimmed.

"You can come visit her agian later, Wolfpaw." Pinepaw added.

Wolfpaw nodded and slipped out of the den. As much as he wanted to spend time with Jaypaw, he knew Rainfeather and Pinepaw were right. Jaypaw needs rest and she wasn't going to get any if he kept constantly visiting. He padded back to the apprentices' den, telling himself that any day now Jaypaw would be back to training and then he could see her.

He slipped into the den and trudged over to his nest. He curled up and wrapped his tail around himself. slowly his thoughts consumed him, and darkness followed as he gave into the overwhelming wave of sleep that washed over him.