Chapter 13

When you wake up, you almost think that you're in heaven for a second due to your stark white surroundings. But then you realize you're just in a hospital. Fun.

You blink, all the memories from before coming back to you. Si. Where is he?

You scramble out of the hospital bed, quickly noticing that there's another bed next to yours, separated from you by a thin curtain. You pull back the light blue curtain and are faced with a heartbreaking sight.

Your soulmate is laying there motionless, hooked up to a bunch of IVs. His face is so pale that he almost looks like a ghost. A couple tears well up in your eyes, spilling over onto your cheeks. You hesitantly step closer, grabbing his hand. It's cold.

"I'm so sorry." You whisper, caressing the back of his hand with your thumb. "This is all my fault. If I had let you drive me home that day, none of this would have happened. And now..now you might be gone forever. Just when I was starting to fall for you-"

You pause when you notice the flickering of his eyelids. Your breath hitches in your throat as his eyes slowly open, focusing on you.

"Y/n?" He rasps out, his eyebrows furrowing.

A smile graces your face as you lean forward, pressing your lips to his. He seems taken aback at first but then slowly kisses you back. They say that kissing your soulmate for the first time is the best feeling ever. Now you can attest to that statement.

He smiles weakly when you pull away. "What was that for?"

"I thought I was going to lose you." You sniffle, wiping your tears with one hand.

"Aww, you missed me that much?" You roll your eyes. Even after being beaten half to death, he can still be an ass. The thought makes you chuckle.

"Whatever, I'm gonna go get the doctor."

_______

About an hour later, the two of you are cuddled next to each other on his hospital bed, your friends occupying the rest of the room. After talking to the doctor, you had found out that Si had been left with a few broken ribs. But luckily that was the worst of it, with a few bruises littered across his body. You had escaped the situation almost completely unscathed, your worst injury being the rope burn on your wrists.

"Do you think they caught them yet?" Huaze Lei asks worriedly.

"Probably not." You shake your head as you absentmindedly play with Si's fingers in your lap. "From what I remember, they were long gone by the time the police arrived."

"That sucks.." Li Zhen sighs. "When are you guys allowed to go home?"

"The doctor said I can leave when I want, but Si's not getting released until tomorrow morning so I'm staying the night."

"Ah, okay. We're gonna get going now, we have class early in the morning." Qinghe nods in agreement.

"Let us know when you're being discharged." He says.

And with that, they're gone, leaving the two of you with the rest of F4. They stay for a little while longer, trying to strike up conversation with Daoming Si. However, it doesn't take long for them to see that he's exhausted and doesn't feel like talking much.

As soon as they leave, the room is engulfed with silence. It's not awkward though, there's no tension. It's more like the two of you are just happy to be there, safe with each other.

"I'm so sorry." He sighs, leaning his head on your shoulder.

"It's fine it's just...why didn't you tell me?" You say quietly.

"It was so long ago, I didn't think all of this was going to happen. If I knew they were still targeting our family, I never would have left your side." His hands reach for your wrist, his jaw clenching as his fingers ghost along the sensitive and bruised skin.

"I let you down." He mutters. You can tell how angry and dissapointed he is with himself.

"Listen to me." You grab his hands, turning your body slightly so that you can look at him properly. "It's over, we can't change anything that happened. The only thing that matters now is that we're here and we're safe."

He reluctantly nods, a grateful smile growing on his face. He leans in, pressing a quick but firm kiss to your lips.

"What was that for?" You grin, repeating his words from earlier.

"For being you."

"I'm sorry, but you trying to be sentimental is just weirding me out." You can't help but laugh.

He pouts. "I try to be nice and this is how you treat me?"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding."

"Nope, I'm still mad." He shakes his head firmly but there is a hint of a smile on his lips.

"How can I make it up to you?" You roll your eyes at his dramatic behavior.

"Kiss me." He grins smugly.

"Fine." You lean in close and he closes his eyes instinctively. But before your lips can touch, you swerve to the side, kissing his cheek instead. "There."

Si opens his eyes, giving you an unimpressed look. "That's not what I meant."

"I know." You giggle.