Chapter 5

With everything piled into our car, we made our way down towards our new home.
    'Everyone seems extremely nice here,' I said to Jet, 'like a little too nice, like was that way too easy?' I eyed our newly obtained items behind us.
    Jet's brow furrowed as he thought about it, 'maybe, or maybe that's just the way small towns work.'
    I sighed, 'you're right, I am thinking way too much into this.'
    Jet turned the car into our cul-de-sac and my eyes instantly lit up at the sight of our gorgeous new house at the end of the road.  Although Sonia said it hadn't been lived in in a long time it had been immaculately maintained. It was a stunning bright yellow, the window shades and front door a brilliant turquoise with white trimmings and stairs leading to the entrance. The garden had a blooming cherry blossom tree just off centre to the left, the rest of the garden was up against the house, it was filled with green foliage and pansy flowers of pinks, purples and blues. White gates on either side stopped us from being able to see what the backyard had in store for us.
    'Wow' I breathed as I got out of the car. This is way beyond what I had ever hoped for.
    Jet opened the back door and started getting things out of the car, 'let's just hope that the inside is as amazing as the outside.'
I helped him grab a few bags before we headed towards the house.
    We walked up the few steps to the front door, sliding the keys into the lock. We pushed the door open with bated breath. We were greeted by a short light turquoise hallway with white door frames on either side leading into the bedrooms. We both peeked into the first bedroom on the left, rays of light shone through the sheer lace curtains on the large windows making it feel warm and cosy. The walls matched the colour of the hallway with white window sills and light wooden floors. In the middle was a big king sized bed with a gorgeous driftwood bed head, it had a teal green throw pillow as well as a cream pillow with a silver starfish placed in the middle, the rest of the cream bedding matched the distressed antique bedside tables, lamps with large white bases and Hessian shades on each. At the foot of the bed was a gorgeous bed bench covered with a white and gold leaf pattern.
    I stepped forward placing my bags of clothes on the bench, staking claim on the room, 'This is definitely my room.'
    I heard Jet chuckle behind me, 'The other one might be better'.
    'I doubt it.'
     We crossed the hallway to his room, it was very similar to the first room, the walls, window frames and bed head were the same but the bedding was different, it had a chevron pattern of greens, whites and browns. His bedside tables were made of the same driftwood as the bed head and both had glass based lamps with white shades. Although it was nice it had nothing on my room.
    I placed his clothes bags on the end of his new bed, 'Not too shabby.'
    'I think it suits me better than you anyway,' he stepped out to the hallway, 'now let's find the kitchen, this is getting heavy,' he gestured towards the box of groceries he was still holding.
    At the end of the small hallway we were greeted by an open living area with a decent sized surprisingly modern white kitchen with stainless steel appliances. In front of the kitchen was a tan sofa and lounge chair, a glass coffee table with a gold bowl full of large shells. To the side was a small light wooden dining table with white upholstered chairs. The back wall seemed to be a wall of windows, the roller blinds had all been wound shut.
   Jet placed the box on the kitchen bench, 'I'll go grab the last box of groceries.'
   'Sure, no worries,' I said as I walked towards the cord for the blind in the centre. I started rolling it up excepting to see a quaint little backyard to match the front but what I was greeted by was much more than that.
   'Hey Ava, I was thinking that we should..... Oh wow.' I felt Jet as he came and stood beside me both of us silent and still, taking in the magnificent view before us. Our backyard was the beach. A stone path lead to a little white gate, on a little white fence lined with cats tails. Beyond that was a beautiful white sand beach, it was a small inlet with cliffs on either side.
    I don't know how long we stood there watching the waves crash on the shore before I spoke, 'do you think we are allowed to swim in it?'
   'I don't see why not, it is the ocean after all, nobody owns it.' Jet tore his eyes away from the view, 'we better put the groceries away first.'
    I outwardly groaned as I looked at the boxes on the counter, 'fiiinne.' I dragged my feet to the counter and started slowly unpacking.
    Jet passed me the milk, 'if we do it together we'll get it done faster.'
    I nodded at him, I knew he was right. We worked fast, my gaze drifting to the beach in front of us often.
    As we put the last item away I sped towards my room, 'last one ready is a rotten egg!' I yelled behind me.
    I poured the contents of my new clothes onto the bed, sorting them out would have to wait, I sifted through them until I came across my bathers. A simple navy blue floral one piece, it cut very low at the cleavage, something I wasn't used to as Vivian would never let me dress like that but I liked it.
   I ran out to the living room, Jet was already waiting with two white towels. I eyed him up and down, he was wearing navy blue shorts with pink flamingos on them, 'nice boardies,' I teased, even though he was definitely pulling them off.
   Unfazed he offered me a towel, 'So I guess you're the rotten egg,'
   I laughed, 'it was always going to be me wasn't it?!'
   'Always,' he smirked, 'those bathers suit you,' he winked as he opened the door, the smell and sounds of the ocean hitting us immediately.
    'Beat you to the water,' I said as I shoved him out of my way.
    'Hey, no fair!' I heard him yell from behind but I wasn't stopping for anyone, I ran down the stone path, jumped over the back fence, I kept up my pace running down the white sand dropping my towel on the way. I reached the waters edge before him.
   'Hey you cheated!' Jet huffed as he joined me.
   'No harm, no foul,' I smiled up at him. I looked at the water in front of me, 'are you ready for this?'
   He reached out taking my hand, 'Together we are ready for anything.'
   We took our first step into the water together, 'ohmigoodness it is freezing', I jumped from foot to foot.
   Jet ventured in further, turning around and getting low, I was in awe of his confidence and then he lifted his arms and hit me with the biggest splash he could muster.
    I stood shocked and half frozen, 'JET! How could you!' shock turned to anger, 'you are so paying for that!'
    Jet grinned from ear to ear, 'Come get me then Ava!' he started running, I hesitated for a moment then began chase. He was not going to win.
    We chased and splashed each other for hours, it was the best fun I had ever had in my life. I didn't want it to end but the sun started to get low and we both realised how absolutely starving we were.
    We returned to the house completely exhausted, we both fell onto the couch not wanting to move, 'Pizza?' I offered. All Jet could manage was a small nod.
    We sat in silence for a moment longer, 'Wait we don't have phones, how would we order?!'
    'Maybe they have a land line?' Jet yawned.
    It was a long stretch but I gathered some energy and got up to look for one, I managed to track it down, along with a phone book. After I ordered I decided to take a long much needed shower.
    Feeling revived and dressed in my comfy new pyjamas I sat down next Jet, 'you should shower,' I poked him, 'it'll make you feel better.'
    He slowly rose from his spot, I sat watching the ocean, feeling like I was living a dream. I heard Jet walk in behind me, I looked up at him, 'I want to sleep in here tonight, with the doors open.'
   'I don't think that couch will be very comfortable'
    I stood up picking up one of the bottom couch cushions, 'Turns out that this is a fold out bed, care to join me?'
    'Nothing would make me happier.'
    I found spare linen in my wardrobe and gathered the pillows. We had just finished making our makeshift bed when there was a knock at the door.
     I grabbed my purse and opened the door, 'So you're the new lady in town,' said the pizza boy, he was probably about 18, with blonde hair.
    'Yeah I am,' I handed him the cash and he handed me the pizzas.
    He turned to leave, 'it was nice to meet you.'
   'You too,' I smiled as I shut the door. 'well it's official, the whole town knows we are here' I placed the pizza's on the kitchen counter.
    'Famous!' Jet chuckled, 'hey do you want to eat on the back door step and watch the beach?'
    'You read my mind' I sat down next to him with the pizza in the middle.
    After we finished we crawled into bed and talked until we both fell into a peaceful sleep.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote! Thank you.