Chapter 13

It was a crazy day of meeting and greeting people. I met some of the kingdoms council members, some eager citizens and my guards, the guards that would escort me everywhere I went, and shown the kingdom in its enterity. It was all extremely daunting but every time I began to feel overwhelmed Jet would squeeze my hand or say something reassuring. He was my rock when I needed him.
     At the end of the day I was completely exhausted and the only thought in my mind was a relaxing shower, if they indeed had them, and then falling into bed next to Jet.
     We were finally heading towards my room when Darian stopped us in our tracks, 'Ava, my darling, you were absolutely amazing today, I am extremely impressed with how you are taking everything in your stride.'
      I nodded my head in thanks, 'You may have to thank Jet for that. He is the only reason I have been able to keep it together.'
    Darian patted Jet on the back, 'All I seem to be doing is giving you my thanks! And I am forever grateful for you.'
     Jet looked at me, his eyes soft and caring, 'It really is nothing. I would do anything for Ava.'
    Darian glanced between us, his eyes settling on me, 'Well then you'll have to save at least one dance for him tonight, I think he deserves it.'
      'Yes of course,' I paused, 'Wait, what?! Dance?'
    'Why the ball of course, most of the kingdom will be present.' Darian's face was beaming, 'And I can't wait to show off my daughter and their future Queen.'
      My jaw had fallen to the floor, was he serious?! 'Nobody mentioned this to us,' I said more than irritated.
     'Well it was meant to be a surprise, Avery has a dress laid out on your bed for you and I do believe she has organised Stacey to redo you hair,' he looked at me expectantly, expecting me to be excited, for me to gush at how lucky I was but I was just too exhausted.
     Jet took my hand, 'Thank you Darian, we are really looking forward to it.'
    Thank God for Jet answering for me because I was at the end of my tether and I was going to need at least 10 minutes alone to pep myself up.
     'It's nothing really,' Darian enthused, 'I will leave you two to get ready.' He patted Jet on the back one more time and gave me a quick hug.
     Jet and I moved towards my room, both of us collapsing on the bed in complete exhaustion, 'How are we even meant to survive tonight?' I groaned, my body still aching from our two day swim and our efforts of the day.
     He rolled over instinctively putting his arm around me, 'The way we've being doing it this whole time, together.'
     I let myself smile at that thought, together. My cheeks heating up as I remembered how close we were to kissing earlier today. How close our lips had been, how he had said my name. My body tingled with goosebumps, butterflies filled my stomach. What was wrong with me?! It's all in your head I told myself as I drifted off to sleep.
     We were awoken what felt like moments later by Stacey in my room, 'Yoohoo Ava, I'm here to do your hair.'
     I groggily rubbed my eyes, sitting up, 'Huh? What?!'
      Jet stirred next to me, yawning 'What's happening?'
      Stacey laughed awkwardly, 'I'm here to do Ava's hair of course.'
     'What's wrong with her hair?'
     'Well at the moment it actually looks like dead coral,' She answered calmly.
      I was completely taken aback by her comment but before saying anything I decided to check myself in the mirror.
     'I'm sorry?' I heard Jet ask behind me already on the defensive, 'Her hair looks like what?'
     I giggled from the dressing table, and then fell into hysterics, 'she's not wrong,' I managed to blurt out inbetween my laughter. My hair was sticking out all over the place, bits and pieces went in all different directions.
      Jet had made his way over and had started laughing uncontrollably as well, 'it really does.'
       Stacey looked on awkwardly, 'I'm sorry, what's happening?'
      I tried to my hardest to stop laughing, I was struggling to breath, 'I am so sorry,' I managed.
     Stacey waited patiently as Jet and I laughed senselessly.
     We finally pulled ourselves together, Stacey staring at us in disbelief, 'I am so sorry, we are just so exhausted. Please do my hair.'
      'Thank God.' she exclaimed, as I sat in my seat.
       Jet leaned over kissing me on the cheek, 'See you soon, you'll look amazing, not as cute as you look with your messy bun and comfy clothes but definitely a different cute.' he shifted his gaze to Stacey, 'I am so sorry about before. I don't know what got into us.'
      Stacey smiled back, 'Don't worry about it. I understand.' she turned her attention back to me, 'Now let's fix this hair.'
     I took myself in as she finished my hair, 'How do you even curl hair underwater?' I asked mystified. She had let my hair cascade down my back in loose curls, it looked incredible.
     She winked at me, 'It's all in the technique.'
     I smiled at her, 'Thank you so much for your help, it really was a disaster before.'
     She returned my smile, 'I'm always happy to help.' she started gathering all her things, 'Now you better get dressed.'
     Of course, I had forgotten about that. Darian had said Avery had left me a dress on the bed but I couldn't see it. I looked frantically for it, pulling up sheets and blankets, when I finally saw it poking out from underneath the bed. I pulled it out praying it was still intact.
     It looked perfect, it was a teal gown, fitted up the top with pink gems under my chest, the gown flowed from teal into ombred purple.
     I left my room to find Jet waiting for me, he was wearing a black tux jacket with a crisp white shirt underneath, he looked gorgeous, my heart fluttered at the sight of him.
     He smirked at me, 'As predicted you look devastatingly cute.'
     My face flushed red, 'You need to stop doing that to me,' I whispered barley audible.
     He reached up tucking a bit of hair behind my ear, 'My hope is to never stop doing that to you.'
     'Why?' I couldn't understand it, we had never been like this before, he had never looked at me like this before. What had changed? Was it just because all we had was each other now? Would he be looking at me like that if it wasn't just us on this journey? Would I be feeling like this if I had someone else here to support me?
      Before Jet could answer me Sonia arrived, 'Come on you two adorable creatures, the party is about to start.'
     We arrived at the entrance to the castle, the ball was being held in the front courtyard, as there was so many merpeople wanting to celebrate with us.
      Before we were allowed to enter my guards had to introduce us, they blew through a large shell that made a loud bellowing sound, everyone turned their attention to us, 'Introducing our long lost Princess Ava and her partner Jet.'
      The crowd erupted in applause as we swam forward to join Darian and Avery. The scene before us was incredible, the yard was filled with merpeople, small coral tables were scattered around with round spheres placed on top, glowing jellyfish in each to create light. There was a string quartet to the left side with a ballroom floor, some merpeople were dancing together.
     Ethan swam up to join us, bowing his head slightly, 'Ava, Jet, I would like to formally apologise for my behaviour the other night,' he put his hand out for me to shake, 'Can we please start again?'
     I shook his hand hesitantly remembering what Jet had told me about him, 'We can only try,' I offered trying to hide my suspicions.
     Ethan continued to hold my hand, 'May I have this dance then?'
     My eyes darted towards Jet panic written on my face, Jet simply nodded, I turned back to Ethan, 'Of course.'
     He pulled me towards the dance floor, merpeople gracefully moving out of our way, some bowing their heads in respect.
      I wasn't sure what to expect from this dance, what he might say to me, what he might try to hold against me. My only hope was that he truly did want to start again.
     We reached the floor and he placed his hand on my waist the other in my hand, we slowly started to dance to the music, 'So Ava, let's talk shall we?'

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote! Thank you.