ii

"Just don't put him in my service anymore," Liliand begged Meredith.

"I didn't put him in your service," Mer reassured her. "He's with Karev this week."

The three of them were waiting for Amelia. She had spent the night at Owen Hunt's. Meredith had only now recieved her contract. She was now chief of general surgery. How fitting. Lilian was chief of neuro, Maggie was chief of cardio, and now Meredith was chief of general. Amelia wasn't chief of anything, but that's because when Derek offered her the job when he was chief of surgery, she refused, and decided it was best if Lilian was chief.

Meredith honked the horn impatiently before Amelia came in running.

"Shut up, I'm here!"

Lilian was about to say something when Amelia started to undress beside her.

"Are you- are you naked?" Meredith asked her sister incredulously.

"She is," Lilian confirmed.

Amelia was dressed in less than 5 seconds, and Meredith started the car and drove them to the hospital. As soon as they all changed into their scrubs in the attending's lounge, Lilian got a page.

"Damnit," she exhaled as soon as she read what it was. "911 from Karev." She told her curious sisters and immediatly ran to the delivery room she had been called from. Her mind was racing. She didn't usually get 911 pages from peds. Her mind was racing as she kept imagining some little baby was dying and their life depended on her.

She ran through the hospital halls. As she was turning a corner, she basically ran into someone. As her luck had it, she ran into DeLuca.

"Dr. Sheppard, can we talk?" He asked her.

"No, where's Karev?" She asked desperately. She looked into the room behind DeLuca. There was a very pregnant woman delivering a baby. Or two babies, by the size of her belly.

"I don't know, why?" Lilian frowned at him.

"What do you mean you don't know? You're supposed to be following him around! He just paged me 911!" she exclaimed, showing him her pager.

"He told me to piss off because he thinks I don't like babies. I don't think there's any emergencies, he would have called me in," DeLuca tried to explain, but Lilian wasn't even listening anymore. Alex had just walked into the delivery room. Lilian quickly walked past the intern and ran into the room.

"What's going on?" She asked desperately.

"I need you here to check on the babies," Karev said with the calmest tone in the world. Lilian froze, not even noticing that two interns had walked in behind her.

"You called me here for a consult?" She asked, not believing she had ran a whole a hospital wing for a consult, stressing about a dying baby.

"Yeah, why are you so panicky?" He teased her with a smirk as he put on his gloves.

"You paged me 911 into a delivery room, that's why I'm panicky!" She told him pretry harshly, showing him her flashing pager. She didn't say it loud enough to bother any of the parents in the room.

"Shit, sorry. Must have hit it accidentally. Meant to call you in 15 minutes," he told her, his expression apologetic. Lilian took a deep breath, calming herself. "You can take a minute, come back in ten, I don't think they'll be out right now," he said, gesturing to the pregnant woman in labour with his head.

Alex didn't know this, but Lilian, at first, almost became a pediatric surgeon. Except during her residency, her sister Amelia lost a baby, and then she lost one, and so she decided she would go to neuro. She couldn't take watching children die.

Lilian stepped out of the room and leaned against a wall, taking a deep breath and running her hands through her hair and over her face.

"Hey, you okay?" She heard a soft voice say. Lily lowered her hands to see DeLuca standing worryingly in front of her. Well, he was pratically towering her. He stood at 5"11', while Lilian barely reached 5".

"I'm fine," she told him. She tried to be harsh and mean, but her voice wavered, and she immediatly lost credibility. She ignored the almost heartbroken pity on his face and walked back into the delivery room. "How are we doing, guys?"

Arizona quickly smiled at her, turning her attention back to the woman in labour. The babies were coming soon. Alex quickly pulled Lilian aside to a corner of the room, far enough from the bed so the parents wouldn't hear.

"Something's wrong with these babies, just tell me they're not missing a brain or something," he said and quickly went back to delivering the babies, not even realizing how much that sarcastic comment had an impact on her.