Guilt

"Pete! Would you hurry up?" you laughed, easily ten feet ahead of him. This was unusual, considering Peter's height, quick pace, and the fact that you usually wore heels. "Are you busy checking out the dames in the Apple?"

He narrowed his eyes at you. "Quit your booshwash, Doll. I'm just feelin' a bit evil today, that's all."

In response, you just rolled your eyes. "Right, Peter. I'm sure that your 'feelin' a bit evil' has nothing to do with the fact that Miss Stacy went to the dance with Ricky instead of you."

A small grin played on Peter's lips. "Aren't you a pill sometimes? Well, it's partially that, but also because she said that you were my filly, Y/N. If she weren't a lady, I'd knock some sense into her. Apparently, that's why she wouldn't dance with me."

You just laughed. "I don't care about being your filly, Pete. Everyone knows that we go everywhere together. She could've called me a crumb and I would've cared less. Besides, I'd much rather have you for my friend than some other girl, and Miss Stacy is a perfect example of why."

You both continued your walk down to the shop that you and Peter often frequented. A bell rang loudly as you pushed the door opened, Peter in tow. How the two of you were friends was a mystery. Peter was quiet, and mild-mannered by all standards. You were loud and outgoing, and rather the troublemaker. Your mother was fine with the friendship, thinking that you being around Peter would make you into a good little girl. But your father absolutely hated Peter, and for reasons he was not willing to express to you. The shopkeeper, Kevin Stewart, looked up from the boxes that he was currently stacking.

"Mr. Parker. Ms. Y/L/N," he greeted each of you, smiling. "What can I get for you today?"

"Oh, not much. Peter, can you go grab a length of red ribbon from over there?" you pointed to a tall tower of different-colored ribbons. He looked at you, confused, and you knew why. You knew very well of his colorblindness, but he didn't question it. You felt a bit bad by forcing him to struggle, but you had to get him away for a few minutes.

"Okay, I've got to make this quick," you whispered to Kevin, who nodded. "I need something to give to him. He's turning sixteen tomorrow, and I need the perfect gift for him. It is a milestone birthday, after all."

Kevin nodded, understanding, walking to the back of the store, coming back with a black velvet box. "In here I have a solid silver watch. Plain, it's twenty dollars. Inscribed, it's about a sawbuck more."

Thirty dollars...for a watch? But it is silver...and it would be nice to give him something that he could use and treasure forever...You took a deep breath, pulling out all of your cash and placing it on the table. "Sold. Do you have a piece of paper that I can write on?"

"Of course." Kevin handed you a paper and a piece of charcoal and you wrote a quick, sweet message. "It'll be ready by ten o'clock tomorrow."

You grinned as Peter walked up. "Thank you."

"Y/N? Is...this red?" he asked uncertainly, holding up some ribbon.

Desperately, you tried to not burst out into laughter, as the ribbon was green. "It's perfect, Peter. Thank you."

You paid an additional fifty cents for the length of ribbon and then the both of you left the shop. There was hardly anyone in the streets, and so you twirled down the sidewalk, taking up as much space as you wanted. Days like this were unusual, when it seemed as though the entire city was asleep. Being in New York, everything seemed rushed and busy.