My Hero

You couldn't sleep at all, having the feeling that something terrible was going to occur if you did. So, finally, after tossing and turning for so long, you saw the first rays of light of the morning sun. After getting ready and not being in the mood to eat, you decided that a walk would clear your mind. Before heading out, you strapped a pistol to your leg underneath your skirt. You always had that gun on you even when you were working as a canary, in case one of the customers got a little too friendly and needed some reminding of the rules. Out on the streets, you prepared yourself to face catcalling and strange faces looking at you from the alleys. But it was strangely empty and barren that morning.

It was beautiful outside; the sky was blue, there were little clouds and birds were singing up in the trees. Maybe you were just anxious from meeting Peter again. Of course, it was a lot to take in. Besides, what were you even going to tell him? It was so obvious that he loved you and would do anything for you. But you couldn't feel it. You remembered those feelings, but they weren't your own. It was so frustrating not being able to love someone so good and so kind. And it hurt, too. You didn't want to tell him that you couldn't feel love for him anymore. What were you supposed to say? "Hey, Peter, I know that I loved you a lot, but I don't have feelings anymore?" That conversation wasn't going to happen.

Walking into the Apple, you sat down on a bench in the middle of the park, taking deep breaths and looking up at the vast, never-ending sky above you. You wished that you were one of the birds flying around up there. Instinct and nature would take care of life for you, and everything would happen in its own due course of time without even having to think about it. They were free to fly and spin and twirl through the gorgeous sky, not having to make difficult decisions or understand complicated emotions. Or maybe it would be better to be a tree, to not even have to think at all and just hold the voices and memories of the people and events that occurred around you. Your leaves would blow in the wind, carried away by the soft autumn breeze. Your deep, rich, earthy smell would fill the park as you began to warm up in the summer mornings and you would bring joy to the little children that came to take leaves off of your branches.

Yes, being a tree would be nice.

After some time, you knew that you had to go home in order to go to the bar by four o clock. Of course, you had to run some errands before that, so you headed towards the markets and shops. You bought the few groceries that you needed, a few sweets, some new velvet ribbon for your hair, and a new pair of earrings. Something that you were rather proud of was how easy it was for you to walk in heels. You could run in them, in fact, a skill that you developed if you got into a sticky situation. And how easy those situations could arise.

As you passed an alleyway, you felt your bags being pulled away. It was a large woman, with thick eyebrows and small, beady eyes. You didn't know what she was saying to you, all you knew was that your bags were being pulled away. Than a man came to join her, and you started to yell for help. Then, they weren't being pulled on anymore. Someone tall was in between you and your two attackers.

Is that...Spider-man? you wondered. It had to be, but you had never actually seen the masked hero up close before.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. People, she just bought this stuff. You can't just take it from her whenever you want. That's illegal and I don't think you want to end up in jail. Have a nice day."

He turned towards you and you could almost tell that he was smiling from underneath his mask. Something about his voice seemed strangely familiar. Maybe you had just heard one of his famous back-and-forth conversations before. Yes, you had, actually. You couldn't believe how fast he could talk and how focused he could still be on the task in front of him. You shook off the feeling that you knew more about him. Of course you didn't know him.

"Thank you," you finally managed. What else were you supposed to say? That you had it?

He tipped his fedora at you. "No problem, m'lady. Do you want me to help you home?"

You nodded, not wanting to get another run-in with some thieves. "You don't have to, though."

"Well, I don't have any other plans right now, Doll. Crime has been quiet today," he replied.

It was that nickname. Why was Spider-man, of all people, using the nickname that Peter used for you? You were beginning to get suspicious, and even more so as the two of you were talking. Why was he so comfortable around you? And he also seemed to be leading you back to your house rather than following you there. But you didn't say anything. You would confront Peter later.

"Here you are, m'lady," he told you proudly once the both of you arrived at your house.

"Thank you again, sir. Have a nice day."

You walked inside, smirking to yourself.