Whispering Memories

You pursed your lips into a thin line, seeming to be taking in what Peter has just told you. "So...did you try to kill me or somethin'? Have me kiss off since I couldn't be your dame?"

Peter wanted to kick himself for wording what he said so stupidly. "No Y/N that's not what I meant at all. You went missing about three years ago. I was the one that found you but...you were dead. I saw you. I held you in my arms. I was there at your funeral and during the autopsy. You had been murdered."

Your eyes narrowed. "What were you doing at my funeral?"

"What do you mean?" Peter asked, baffled.

"If you were at my funeral, then you were someone important to me. No P.I. just shows up at their client's funeral." Y/N sat up straighter. "I need to know because I don't know who I am."

"Y/N, this is something big. We can't talk about it here any longer. Is there any other time we can meet?" Peter pulled out a notebook.

"At Kevin Stewart's. Twelve o'clock on the dot. I'll only have a few minutes, so it'll have to be snappy," you explained, standing up. "And if you need to get some more information, you can always buy my time."

With that, you walked away, leaving Peter even more confused than before. He strode back over to the table that he had been sitting at, looking at the questioning expressions he was getting.

"So how did it go?" Peter B. asked.

Peter shook his head. "I don't know what to think. I saw her...she was dead. Y/N was dead. I'm the one that found her. I'm just..."

He slid into his chair, resting his head in his hands as he tried to figure out what was happening. Peter's mind was reeling. Had it actually been you that he had just seen? Looking up, he confirmed once again that it had to be you up on that stage, singing with your angelic voice with all of your heart and soul. Peter still didn't feel like this was actually happening. He had already accepted the fact that you were gone.

Gwen put her hand on his shoulder. "Peter, what happened?" she asked softly.

"Three years ago, she left to get this." Peter held up his wrist, pulling his sleeve back to show the silver watch. "Y/N was only supposed to be gone for a few minutes but...hours went by. I went looking for her as her mother called the coppers. And I...found her, right outside this very club. She still had the box holding this watch in it, and I've worn it ever since. I thought for sure that she was gone forever. And now...we have a bigger problem than the fact that she's supposed to be dead. Y/N doesn't remember anything. She doesn't remember me, which is another problem, considering that we have been friends ever since I was six and she was four."

Peter sighed, pulling his sleeve back up. "How long do you guys think that you can be here?"

"Probably for only another day," Peter B. replied. "Or else our atoms will start to scramble. And that is not fun at all."

"Of course. I think a day will be enough for you to help me at least get a jump start on the case." Peter stood back up. "We should probably head back to my place. There's nothing more that we can gather here."

They nodded in agreement and they left. When they came out on the streets, it was very dark. There was only the light from the streetlamps lighting their way. The moon was covered with clouds, the stars did not shine.

"Miles, you might want to get in the middle of the group," Peter said suddenly.

He seemed confused. "Why?"