Chapter Four: Eyes and Ears

Bat Cave - 11/15/19

Gotham City has always been my home.

I never thought I would leave the city when I was younger.

My parents would talk about college and the girls at school how they wanted to travel to Taiwan and Sweden or Thailand but I never shared their ambitions. They wanted to escape this city. 

Gotham City, despite being a shithole, was my home.

Once I became Gotham, any inkling I might have had of leaving the city completely vanished from thought.

I had too much to do to leave.

My name was—is—Gotham for a reason.

I must have forgotten that when I applied to Metropolis University.

I don't know what I was thinking.

I had an easy track to Gotham University.

College has never been the biggest deal but I figured I'd go so I could get a cheap and easy job to help pay the bills while I fought the filth on the streets but with a billionaire boyfriend, that wasn't really necessary.

  I definitely didn't think about a future in photography.

I liked it. But it wasn't a career. I wouldn't make money off of it. I can think of about three photography jobs off the top of my head.

But I still applied.

I sent in one of my albums of pictures, I think just to see if I got in.

Gotham Prep said that Metropolis University was a difficult school to get into. I didn't think I'd get in with a few landscape pictures and dirty kids.

But I did and now I'm presented with a new problem.

I should scoff at the letter, laugh with it with Damian, and throw it away. But something about the letter made me hold on.

    October stepped back, crunched up to protect her gut with her arms in front of her face. Tim's leg swept out and October leaped over it, one foot coming up to hit Tim's shoulder and force him back. October's toes danced far too close to the edge of the matt and she finally got a step deeper in.

    Her foot swung up and around again, blocked by Tim's forearm and her fist went to make up for it before Tim caught that two and with one pivot October was flipping over herself and caught herself on her hands. She cartwheeled over and squatted back into an attack position as Tim lunged with three long steps at her.

    October hunkered down, bringing her arms in front of her face as Tim's leg flew up and she charged forward, knocking it down and out of her way as Tim stumbled, shock fluttering across her features as October leaped from the sider, her fist raised and aiming for Tim's cheek when his hands snapped around her arm with the speed of a cobra. He twisted, taking October over his shoulder and down on the ground, clasped between his knees.

    "You're getting better," Tim, Red Robin, said. He had been training October in highly advanced martial arts recently and despite what Batman insisted, she was improving quickly. "You need to work on your variety. More than just punching and kicking. Outsmart me."