Chapter Five: The Final Straw

11/16/19 - Bat Cave

Over the course of a couple of hours that it took for Gotham to knock down several gangbangers in an alley and stop at her house on the way to the Bat Cave, large bags had grown underneath her eyes. She stopped in the bushes outside of the Cave and stripped into her underwear, leaving her suit in a clump on the ground as she shimmed into a blue floral, strapless dress that tightened in a black belt around her waist.

She held her new, burnt Gotham suit in one hand and her socks and heeled boots in one hand, as she walked into the cave through a path in the wood, mud soaking between her toes.

Alfred was waiting for her in the front of the Cave to take the suit from her. "How did things go, Ms. Solomon?"

"Everything is good," October said before her head angled toward her feet.

Alfred held up the suit and frowned.

"It got a little hot," October explained.

"I'll make sure the next model is fireproof."

"You don't have to—"

"As I said previously, your safety is very important to me and this family. It would be my honor."

"Thanks, Alfred." October gave a sheepish smile.

"Dinner is going to start soon. Use the sink downstairs." Alfred winked.

October hurried up the stairs, making sure the creeks were quiet beneath her feet as she pranced lightly to the upstairs bathroom, the grandfather clock in the hall covering her entrance. She stands one-legged on the toilet, her other foot in the sink, the toilet seat wobbling as she washed the mud off from both feet. She tried them off and slid on her socks and boots. The was almost finished tying the last book when there was a knock at the door.

"Hello?"

"Solomon? We're about to eat come on!" He bangs on the door until I open it and Damian's hand falls. He's wearing a black blazer and tie. His eyes were narrowed at October's face. "Why didn't I hear you come in?"

"I came through the Bat Cave."

"Why?"

"My feet were muddy. I didn't want to wear my boots. Are you going to keep interrogating me or are we going to eat."

"Come on then." Damian turns. "And my brother is here. Don't talk to him."

"I talk to him all the time."

"Not Tim," Damian said.

Damian didn't see October's eyebrows shoot up. She knew Damian's family was extensive and mostly unrelated by blood, and she knew of quite a few of the brothers.

And when she walked into the dining room, where Bruce sat at the head of the table, eating beside Tim and Duke, who sat with big eyes as Bruce slid off parts of his steak to the dog, October finally had the occasion of meeting Dick Grayson.

Brother number one. The first Robin. Now going under the alias as Nightwing and Bludhaven. And he was wickedly handsome with striking blue eyes and sharp jaw. He also wore a suit that was lightly wrinkled along the cuffs but seemed much more relaxed than Damian, his shoulders back. He grinned largely with white teeth like a Cheshire cat.

"You're October?" he asked.

"Yes."

"And you're dating my brother?"

October's eyes flickered to Damian briefly. "So we say."

"Aww!" This grown man squeals like a child at Christmas. "You guys are so cute! I don't know how this monster could land a girlfriend but I'm glad he did! Welcome to the family!" October was smothered in Dick's arms as he practically lifted her off the ground in a bear hug.