2

-=+=-

"So why exactly are you wearing a suit whilst adventuring in the forest?"

Wilbur smiled crookedly back at Schlatt who followed close behind.

"Well, you never know when a business opportunity will pop up."

Wilbur giggled at that, a light high pitched sound that caught Schlatt by surprise and gave him butterflies. Schlatt tried to will away the feeling of floating as Wilbur turned to look back at him again.

"I guess you're right, Schlatt!"

Schlatt noticed his eyes twinkle. He ripped his gaze away as to not seem suspicious. Wilbur slowed and looked down at the ground.

"Hey, you seemed pretty lost, I was just wondering if you have anywhere to go after this?"

Wilbur asked cautiously. Schlatt froze for a second. He didn't have anywhere to go. After he was run out of the city he-

Schlatt shivered. He did not want to think about what had happened before, maybe he could get a fresh start out in the wilderness, like Wilbur.

"Not... Exactly. I'm kind of, well how do I put it-"

"On the run?"

Schlatt's eyebrows raised at the quick response from Wilbur.

"I get that. You want to start off somewhere different, run away from your past."

Wilbur was focused on the ground in front of him, kicking his shoe and digging up dirt. Wilbur had almost seemed sad, and Schlatt berated himself for causing the sweet man to feel anything other than pure unadulterated joy.

"Dwelling on the past is exhausting, we all need a change of pace sometimes!"

Wilbur suddenly lit up again like nothing had happened. Schlatt nodded, wondering what exactly was in Wilbur's past.

"Well anyway, what I was getting to was that um... If you'd like you could stay with me in my cottage for as long as you possibly need to!"

Schlatt did not miss the pink rising in Wilbur's cheeks and the sparkle in his eye. How could he possibly deny the request?

"Oh, well that's very sweet of you Wilbur. I might just have to take you up on that offer."

Wilbur smiled big and wide at Schlatt and began to walk with a pep in his step.

The two had come up to and crossed a stone bride over a river when Wilbur turned around suddenly, slightly startling Schlatt.

"Welcome, Mr. J. Schlatt, to my humble abode!"

Wilbur gestured to a small oak cottage that was nearly hidden in the trees. Schlatt had to admit, it looked very cozy and cute. The roof was cobblestone and the walls were oak planks with respective logs as accents. There were a few windows with small planters situated on the outside of them. The house was surrounded by fully grown wheat and a small path was paved to the door from the bride they had just crossed. Schlatt caught Wilbur staring at him from the corner of his eye, waiting for a reaction.

"Well Wilbur, you definitely have a knack for building cottages"

Wilbur giggled.

"Why thank you Schlatt! I spent months on this build so I'm happy to hear you like it."

He led Schlatt to the front door and inside of the house. The room you enter into was a living room, a small couch and a coffee table off to the right with a walk in kitchen at the back. There was a staircase going downstairs to the left and a large bookcase in front of that. Wilbur kicked off his shoes and shrugged off his overcoat, hanging it up on a wall hook by the door. He walked over to the kitchen counter and set down his iron pick. Schlatt remained at the door, observing his surroundings in awe.