𝟎𝟏 | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐣𝐨𝐛

INTEGRITY

INTEGRITY

01 | the hard part of the job

unedited

It was amazing the impression some people could leave on you. Andromeda would marvel over the fact she could distinctly remember certain people, just because of the smallest of things they'd done the day she'd met them. She remembers when she was young, ten maybe, and she met her nanny for the first time. She was a grouchy woman, but gentle when it came to her. The first thing Andromeda could remember her doing was smiling at her and then offering to help her with her flower crown. It had made her so happy at the time, that even now it brought a smile to her face.

    She hadn't seen the old woman in years, and yet that memory still glistened like fresh paint in her mind.

    In her head she sees a glimpse of dark blue eyes, that mirrored the night sky above her and a dirty, frowning face. Yeah, she smiles. First impressions really are important. I'll never forget that day.

    "Andromeda!" Her teacher calls for her, his voice echoes off the stone and dirt walls of their home. She could see his silhouette illuminated by the moons bright glow, his back was to her, his cloak billows in the night breeze. From where she lay he looks like a hero, and to her he really was.

    It had been over four years since the day they'd first met and there was no doubt in her mind that he had been her most memorable first meeting. And it definitely hadn't been for the greatest of things, either. Even still, the mysterious man was her teacher and hero, he had spent all of these four years helping her.

    She grunts tiredly, sitting up in her soft fur bed on the floor, brushing her white hair behind her ear. The fire that had been lit a couple hours prior was still burning bright, and it should be, they'd both kept a good eye on it. "What?" She grumbles, rubbing her eyes. "I was trying to sleep."

    "You have a letter from the guild."

What?

    She was up in seconds, running for the caves entrance. She doesn't shiver in the icy night air, her bare skin welcomes the cold. "Don't open it!" She cries.

    "Too late~!"

    "Ugh, Mead!!"

    "Uh, uh, uh! That's Mr. Mead too you." He sings, holding the letter out of her reach. "You rich kids need to learn to respect your elders, especially us teachers!" He shakes his head and tuts, his dark brown locks move and he's quick to sweep them back behind his ear.

    She growls under her breath, huffing at the childish manner her teacher acted in. "What does it say?" She sighs. A letter from the guild always meant trouble, a new mission for them, perhaps? But why would they send it to her? The only time she's received a letter addressed solely to herself, was when she was fully accepted into the nameless guild. Even then it was just a blank piece of paper in an envelope with her name on it.