III

I sat down next to a little girl. Glancing over at her, I took in the features of my younger sister Alix. She had her long obsidian hair braided neatly, her brown eyes the rich color of dark chocolate, her skin the color of pale cream. Alix ignored my brief stares as she continued to eat her confit de canard. Aloin placed my plate before me. I thanked him with a silent nod as I picked up my dinner fork.

        "So, enfant faible, what took you so long?" My mother didn't look up from her meal as her charming voice made sound, though her words were harsh.

        "I was working on my transformation magic, Madame Valiquette. I apologize that my absence was a hindrance to you." I decided to take the easy way out. No one believed that Leona was real. 

        "Brother was probably working really hard. What's transformation magic like, Kaleb?" My younger brother Fae asked. I smiled softly at him.

        Fae had more feminine features with wide and innocent shaped eyes the color of the soil once it started to rain. His deep hair had gentle waves in them, looking like a sea of black. His skin was more pigmented than the rest of us, but still on the lighter side.

        "Fae Lae-Paresse, do not speak to him. You will become corrupt like him if you do." My father's harsh voice spoke before I had a chance to answer the 6-year-old's question. I watched as Fae shrunk back.

        "Bien sur, mon pere. Je m'excuse..." He spoke in French quietly, fear faint in his voice. 

        The table trembled once my father hit it.

        "Fae, for the last time, we speak English when indoors! You must learn the language, you cannot always speak French!" His volume rose with every word that came out of his mouth. The other children looked at young Fae in pity but didn't say anything in fear that they too would be yelled at. Fae shook with fear as though he was cold and nodded.

        "Lord Valiquette, must you yell at the table? If you couldn't tell, we are trying to enjoy the meal and it's no use to when you bother us with your harsh words. Leave Fae alone." I hadn't realized the words left my mouth until the room grew silent, ten pair of eyes settling on me.

        "What did you say, boy?" The anger was obvious in my father's voice. I swallowed before looking him in the eyes.

        "I know you heard what I said, but I will repeat it in a tone you shall understand better. Shut up." I spoke defiantly, feigning courage as I continued staring my father in the eyes. My father grew silent, his hand white from gripping his utensils with all his might. His eyes held a murderous glare, the muddy brown color holding darker hues as his temper rose silently. The onyx hair of my father was slicked back, showing his pale skin.

        "Kaleb Dean-Bas Valiquette​," My mother spoke to me, harsh enough for my shoulders to move slightly as I tried to hold back from flinching, "never speak to your father like that. Do you have any idea what he does for you?"
        With that, my talk with Leona returned to my mind.

        That man doesn't deserve his love, Kaleb. He is cruel and evil, turning your siblings against you.

        "He keeps me locked up. I am a prisoner in my own home because of him. Unlike my younger siblings, I'm homeschooled. I'm only allowed out into the gardens. Staff members and Father's bodyguards are always following me." I spat those words out with all the emotions I could muster, looking back down at my plate.

        "Why doesn't Kaleb go outside...?" Fae spoke quietly, most likely still scared from father yelling at him. 

        "Because he is different. You see the way his eyes are? He isn't a true Valiquette. If people saw him, they would believe he's tainted in some way. Besides, he doesn't do things the Valiquette way." 

        My eyes shot up as soon as my father spoke his excuse.

        "What do you mean by that?" I asked, my grip on the silver fork tightening just a little.

        "You are too soft, pathetic even." He spoke calmly even though his eyes were burning with rage.

        "I'm "too soft"? Why, because I refuse to hurt people? You think I'm pathetic because I won't harm others as you do?" I had lost my filter, emotions raced through me like the water of a powerful stream.

        Silence filled the dining hall once more as the eyes that were once on me shifted to my father.

        "Papa... do you hurt people?" Alix was the one to speak now, her voice distraught.

        "Of course not, ma fierté. Your older brother is spreading his lies once more," His eyes were harsh once they fell upon me, "Go to your room, Kaleb Dean-Bas Valiquette, before you ruin another meal." 

        "You already do that, Lord Valiquette." I stood and walked towards the dining room door. Aloin was beside me and opened it, silent. Once I left, the door thundered behind me.

        "You're probably disappointed in me, Aînée Aloin." I didn't look at my mentor as I spoke. A soothing touch was placed on my shoulder.

        "I am more disappointed in your family, Maître Kaleb. They are the ones in wrong." His voice was as calming as his very touch. 

        I managed a small smile before walking back to my room. I held my head up with defiance as the cold and painted eyes of my ancestors stared down at me. All of them had the eyes as dark as the deep word of an oak, none like me. None had blue eyes, unlike me. My footsteps softly filled the corridors lined with expensive side tables, vases, and other irrational things. As I turned the corner, I saw a face that hasn't been seen since the day of my birth.

        "... Adonis?" I asked quietly, fearing I was wrong. The figure turned and a small smile graced his feminine features.

        "Long time no see, petit frère."

___________________________
Words: 

enfant faible: Weak child

Lae-Paresse (originally La Paresse): The Laziness

Bien sur, mon pere. Je m'excuse: Of course, my father. I apologize

ma fierté: My pride

Aînée: Elder

Maître: Master

petit frère: Little brother

Also, before I forget, the younger siblings have middle names that relate to the Seven Deadly Sins, hence why Alix was called "My pride" and Fae's full name would be Fae Lae-Paresse Valiquette. I changed La to Lae because that's a common unisex name from where I live and yeah.