-2-

"What brought you here today?" Leon asked as he switched the hairdryer off, and his fingers twirled the wavy locks of my hair playfully

Because I missed you.

But I'll never tell him that.

It had been a month since we met since he had been busy with his projects and I had also been occupied with all the rehearsals for my recital. It was funny how the both of us used to spend a lot of time together that we were almost inseparable, till life happened and things changed. I guessed they were right when they said that growing up also meant growing apart.

I never knew that all the hopes and dreams that we talked about under all the starless nights turned out to be a pain I had to bear. Since Leon was two years older than me, he left for college first. I would never forget the day I stood at the airport's departure gate, that one tight hug and a wave goodbye. My heart nearly shattered as I watched him move out of the city filled with us and flew all the way across the country to chase a dream that felt too far for me to reach.

Determined, I worked so hard in the two years so that I could also attend college in the same state as him. All the sleepless nights and gruelling college applications into the most difficult music academy just so that I could be in the same state and same city as him. Even after everything, Leon still felt kind of far away. As though all that had changed would never be the same, and that all that was different would remain foreign with the passage of time.

"Mom made some raspberry jam and they came through the mail yesterday. She told me to share it with you," I said, finding the perfect excuse but it was somewhat the truth anyway.

"I would kill for those!" he exclaimed excitedly. "Of all the bad things about being away from home, not having Pam's homemade jams was the worst."

"You can't be serious," I rolled my eyes.

"I'm dead serious, Rae," Leon frowned. "You haven't been here long enough, but you'll understand it eventually. That taste is what I defined as homesick."

When he let go of my hair, I pushed myself to stand and went to my bag which I left in the entryway. I reached my hands in and dug out two bottles of jam to pass to Leon. Holding onto the glass jars, the smile on his face was unbelievably silly. Maybe after so many years, some things were left unchanged. For example, the most annoying side of my childhood friend.

After Leon walked out of the kitchen, he went towards the laundry room and I wondered what he was about to do, so I followed right behind him. A click on the washer's lid and he stretched his arm in to take out my clothes.

God damned.

Other than my dress, there were my undergarments. Without hesitation, I strode towards him and snatched the pile of clothing from his hands. Surprised by my suddenness, Leon laughed, "Sweetheart, I used to wash your clothes."