*-20-

"Why is it that good times aren't permitted to last?"

I guessed people were right when they said that being way too happy could mean that downfall was on its way

When I opened my eyes again, I found myself all tied up to a chair in a dark room. There was nothing around me except for the pitch blackness that surrounded me and the only thing I could see was the dimly lit lamp placed right above me. The room was cold — no — I was stripped till I was left in the thin dress that I wore underneath the thick coat when I left home today and that was why I felt cold.

Trying to move was a futile attempt when my ankles were tied together with cable ties and my bare feet were planted against the moist, cold and uneven ground. I struggled against the restraint but stopped when the sharp edges scraped painfully against my sole.

Where am I?

My heart raced and the panic caused a lurch in my throat. All the muscles in my body tensed uncomfortably and when I tried to scream, the sound was muffled by the gag that was tied to my mouth. I thought hard about what had happened and ache in my head was a scary memory that flashed across my mind.

-

I got ready early today and walked out of my apartment building. Standing in the walkway, I waited for Leon but he left a text earlier to let me know about the heavy traffic and a possible delay. I replied saying it's okay and waited patiently. From within, I was really excited to be going out today because it was Valentine's Day and also, my birthday.

The wait felt a little bit uneasy and it wasn't because the weather was colder than usual, but the chill came from the feeling of being watched. Yet, when I looked around, there wasn't anyone within my vicinity. Shrugging the unease off, I felt that I was overthinking and went back to my phone to continue to chat with Clara. She was telling me that Max had planned for a short trip out of the city and I felt excited for her since she had been wanting a getaway for a long while.

Just when I wasn't paying attention, someone attacked from behind. Frantic, I thrashed and struggled, remembering the sweet scent on the cloth that was covering my mouth and nose before everything went black in an instant.

-

The realisation finally struck me that I was most probably kidnapped. My pulse hastened and I struggled in the chair as tears of desperation prickled the back of my eyes. At this point, my mind had gone blank and any logical thought had been erased by the horrifying fear that pumped through my veins. All I could think of is run. But the harder I tried to break myself free, the deeper the cable ties scratched and cut into my skin.

Creak.

The sound of a turned doorknob snapped me back into attention. The door was suddenly pushed ajar but I couldn't make out the shape of my kidnapper because there wasn't enough light that seeped into the room from outside. By the looks of it, I assumed that it was already night time as my eyes stayed fixated on the place where I heard shuffling footsteps slowly making their way towards me. A mixture of trepidation and nausea forced its way up from my stomach and I almost threw up at the sight of the figure that stepped into view.