7

Mid-October turned the air cold and made the leaves from trees fall to the ground. Gary was studying his missionary handbook, set and willing to take off in the summer. Stan still had no clue where he wanted to go or what he wanted to do. Animals were still a definite.

"Get a job," Gary had suggested. "So that when I come back, we can live together."

That was exactly what Stan decided to do. Applications were sent to places- and that was it. Stan had to wait for replies. Not only was he motivated because of Gary, but another thought pushed him to try hard in life: Mr. Harrison. Stan thought that if he could get a job and actually get a car rather than carry a permit, he thought perhaps Gary's dad would become accepting of him. All he needed to do was clean himself up.

A fastfood place hired him, and Stan hated every minute of it. His friends laughed at him, but it was going to be worth it in the long run. By November Stan had worked up enough courage to stop by Gary's house just to meet his dad. No car yet, but he did have a steady job and some money. Something that didn't make him look like a troublemaker.

Stan told his date, in which Gary protested with anxiety. "Don't do it, please! I don't want to lose you!"

"He might be understanding!"

"He didn't and still doesn't approve of Mark being inactive! Dad won't support me!"

The bedroom door opened, revealing a confused adult. Mr. Harrison asked for context, in which Gary had finally spilled everything. He was left shaking, fearing what his dad was going to say next. Stan also added, "I have a job, and I'm working on getting my permit, because Gary helped motivate me..." Stan felt intimidated, wishing to turn back and never bring it up again.

All the man could say was, "I'm sorry, but I can't allow it." He seemed sad, but Mr. Harrison kept his posture and escorted Stan out of the house. Before he left, the young man looked at him and said, "As long as he's under your roof, you have control over him. But as long as he's free, well, he's free." It was a bold move. His words made the older man think from then through dinner.

He was washing dishes with Gary that same night. Mr. Harrison wasn't mad or disappointed, but rather concerned. It was something he had thought he would face with one of his kids. There were five of them; one was bound have an interest in the same sex. It had to be the middle child.

"Gary," he said in a fatherly tone, "once you have a place to live, you're free to make your own rules. Did you know that?"

"Yeah," his son replied, but obviously missing the point.

He tried again, "You can live with anyone you want. Family, friends, dates..."

Gary began to realize what was being said.

"But, until then, you have to abide by my rules. We're a family of religion, but we're also a family of love and acceptance. We shouldn't fear, but we shouldn't step out of line. I can only hope you know what you're doing, and that what you're doing is right."

The young man felt happy and hopeful. It was a plan to serve in the mission, then to come back and move in with Stan. It would take a while, but as long as Stan can keep his patience then the two were going to be okay.

"Just one thing," Mr. Harrison said. "Don't ever pre-marital sex." It's a rule Gary would definitely keep.