prologue

"BROTHER, YOU MUST BE CRAZY

"BROTHER, YOU MUST BE CRAZY."

Klaus Mikaelson smirked languishly, catching his brother's disapproving expression.

"I'm wounded, 'Lijah," He said. "Do you think that little of me?"

Elijah Mikaelson stopped adjusting the straps on his white mare, looking up at his younger brother who was already on his own steed.

"Niklaus, I worry for you."

The blond original barked a loud laugh, scaring the two young women carrying their laundry. Elijah sent them an apologetic smile before returning to the conversation, "This crusade around Europe is... "

"Pointless?" Niklaus supplied, raising two eyebrows in challenge.

"Not pointless," Elijah mounted his horse. "Perhaps... unsatisfactory."

"Ah," Klaus hummed, "Trust in my powers of persuasion. We will find a new home where I am King soon, brother."

Elijah chuckled, "King?"

"King, Lord, God. I'll take them all."

Elijah shook his head good naturedly, "I don't doubt you will."
He grabbed the map stashed in the saddle and quickly opened it.

"Well then, where to next, your grace?" Elijah inquired, letting his eyes fall over the European plains and never ending mountains.

Klaus jerked his horse's reins and peered over Elijah's shoulder, biting his lip in profound concentration. Then, his blue eyes lit up, like a spark of lightning against the sky, and he laughed.

"There," Klaus pointed to a country near the Carpathians. "We shall rain fire on their walls and storm through their castles."

Elijah quirked an eyebrow, "And the King? How will you dispose of him?"

Klaus chuckled, "His weakness, of course. There is always a chink in the armor, brother."

Then, as if spirited by that fact, Klaus snapped his horse to a gallop.

"To Mayera!"