IV - the family secret

THEY REACHED THE TOP OF A HILL

"You know, you're wrong," Elijah said. Prince Kierein stopped walking at the sudden proclamation, turning around to grace the Noble Original with a thick skeptical brow as if to say go on.

Most of the tour had been spent in comfortable silence. Understandably, Elijah was rendered speechless at Prince Kierein's accurate depiction of his intentions. It unnerved the Original to be dissected that swiftly and precisely by the unassuming brawny Prince.

Now they were back to where the conversation started.

"My brother and I have no intentions of conquering Mayera. He merely seeks to understand the your world, and I am his compass."

Kierein's brown eyes narrowed until they resembled a snake's. Elijah's words lit a spark of annoyance in him. "So everywhere he goes, you follow? Lord Mikaelson, that is a waste of your time."

"I have time," Elijah retorted passionately, forgetting for a fraction of a second that the other man he was conversing with was not immortal and would never understand. "Too much time. And most importantly, I am his family. I would do anything for my brother. You understand, don't you?"

There was a pause.

"More than you can imagine, " Prince Kierein finally agreed, an unrecognizable emotion clouding his gaze.

But then a beautifully crooked smile graced his face and Elijah forgot all about Kierein's dark tone. "It seems you and I are doomed  to cater to our siblings' lofty fantasies for the rest of our lives."

"You..."

Elijah froze. "Did you hear that?"

"You imbecile!"

"Hear what?" asked the Prince.

However, Elijah did not answer. He strode as swiftly as possible, fast enough to convey urgency but slow enough not to alarm the Prince.

"Follow me, Your Grace. Draw that sword."

Prince Kierein reluctantly slipped his weapon out of its sheath, not taking too well to the authoritative tone Elijah used.

Splash!

"What is it?" He inquired, as Elijah cocked his head to the side. "Is it the animals? Father said the villagers had been attacked last night by some beast."

"No..." Elijah pulled back a fern and stepped into a clearing. He squinted at the dark pond, thanking his heightened vampire senses for once. Through the twinkling marine mass, he saw it.