Prologue

Prologue

"WindClan has been trespassing in our territory again!" a brown and cream tom shouted to all the cats in the clearing, his gray eyes fierce with determination.

"My Clan has done nothing of the sort, Fennelstar. Stop these accusations," a cream tom hissed, his voice dangerously low.

"Darkstar, Fennelstar, please calm down," a black tabby tom tried to reason.

"It's no use, Shallowstar. Just let WindClan and ThunderClan fight," a brown tabby tom whispered in the black tabby's ear.

"Burnstar, we need to keep the peace!" Shallowstar hissed.

"Everyone, calm down! Look at the moon!" a dark brown tabby she-cat yowled, her blue eyes glazed with frustration.

Burnstar looked up, seeing the moon covered by clouds. He looked back to the clearing of cats, who were all staring at the sky, worried looks on their faces.

"Yes, Fallowstar. You are right. Let's not be hasty with our accusations," Darkstar shot a glare at Fennelstar, and the ThunderClan leader hissed.

"ThunderClan is leaving! We will not stand to be in a Gathering with prey-stealers!" the brown and cream tom hissed. He leaped down from the tree and headed for the fallen log, with the rest of ThunderClan following.

"Alright. Burnstar, would you like to speak next?" Shallowstar nodded to the RiverClan leader.

"Sure. RiverClan is doing well. Two new kits have been born. We welcome Lakekit and Shellkit," the brown tabby tom paused to let the cats cheer. He then nodded to Fallowstar.

"SkyClan is prospering. We have plenty of prey and territory," she meowed. Burnstar saw Darkstar narrow his eyes, but ignored it.

"All is well in ShadowClan. We have two new warriors. Dovebranch and Mudstep!" Shallowstar smiled. Burnstar saw two cats beaming as the Clans cheered for them.

"That is all for this Gathering. We should head home now," Fallowstar meowed. She leaped down from the tree and began to lead her Clan home. Darkstar and Shallowstar followed her, leaving Burnstar and the rest of RiverClan.

"Why didn't you say anything about the branch?" an orange tabby she-cat, Minktail, asked Burnstar.

"I didn't feel like it was something to tell all the Clans. I doubt it has any significance at all," Burnstar meowed nonchalantly.

"But StarClan said—" a black and brown she-cat started to say, but the RiverClan leader cut her off.

"StarClan didn't say anything. You just think it is an omen, Aspenstream. StarClan just showed you something, but everything will be fine," Burnstar meowed. Aspenstream shifted uncomfortably, but she didn't object.

"Let's go home. Lionshade, make sure we don't leave anyone behind," Burnstar meowed to her deputy, finally leaping off of the tree and heading to the fallen log.

Aspenstream is wrong. That branch didn't mean anything. RiverClan will be fine without the other Clans' help.