Chapter 13: Harry

A/N: I have re-wrote this scene to be mine because I thought it would be different so please don't be disgruntled if it isn't like the book, it has to happen for the plot to work.

On the eve of the selection, me, Ron and Hermione all got the Great Hall nice and early. As well as the usual four tables, rows and rows of benches were in place for the visitors. We took some seats at the Gryfindor table, before craning our necks up eagerly.

There, right in front of us, was the Goblet of Fire. It shone elegantly, yet radiated a little danger. Looking around, I saw some of those who had placed themselves through for the tournament, each one crossing their fingers.

It seemed wrong.

All these students wanted to be selected. They wanted to risk their lives, and to put others in harms way. After all I'd witnessed, that deed was unthinkable.

Part of me wondered if the Weasley twins were out of the infirmary yet. The other evening, they had attempted to place their names into the Goblet. Due to the fact that they were under age, the age line had rejected them, firing them across the hall with long silver beards. I saw it as a little joke: a message sent from Dumbledore 'You wish to be older? Fine! Be old...!' However, the poor twins didn't find it hilarious.

Hermione nudged me sharply. "Ouch Hermione. Wha-" My voice faded away as I  noticed what she was pointing at. Or rather, at who.

The suspected death-eaters had entered the room and sat down on a bench. Together they laughed, and some held hands. I narrowed my eyes. How could they be just so normal?

As the hall turned silent, my attention turned back towards the front where Dumbledore had stood up by the Goblet of Fire. Barty Crouch was just behind him, wrinkles wrapped around his eyes and exhaustion weighed his posture.

For some reason, I had expected it to be bigger. I had imagined a huge speech the headmaster would enlighten us on before the Goblet's embers would flicker a name in the air. Something magical like that.

Instead, Dumbledore simply held his had out as a singed slip of paper flew out right into it. As it did so, the Goblet ejected a deep purple glow. "The camp Jupiter champion is..." Dumbledore announced, reading off the slip of paper.

"Hazel Levsque..."

The benches erupted in to flames as a small girl of maybe just fourteen walked down the hall, towards the teachers. She had cinnamon skin and bouncy hair and a sharp weapon was strapped to her belt.

Hazel Levsque shook hands firmly with Dumbledore, and then Barty Crouch. When she finally reached her Camp leaders (I believed I had heard them being called Reyna and Frank), she immediately hugged them. Frank even kissed her forehead. I couldn't imagine being THAT close to my headmaster.

Then, Hazel exited through the back of the hall.

Another piece of paper burst out from the Goblet. This time, the flames were a bright orange. "The Camp Half-Blood champion is..."

"Percy Jackson..."

A boy of seventeen stood up grinning as his friends patted him on the back. Percy was one of the boys who I suspected of being a death eater after the tattoo deal. I balled my fists up tightly. Had a death eater just been selected to go into the Triwizard Tournament?

Once again, Percy shook hands with various wizards before settling over with his Camp Director, Chiron. The two weren't as informal as Hazel and Frank, but they still seemed close. Then Percy followed Hazel's trail out of the hall.

The last strip of paper shot out, the flames of which it came from transformed scarlet. "The Hogwarts champion is..."

Silence dwelled through the hall. Many held their breath.