Chapter 37

1 year later

Ever since Phillip helped Kate with the Seth situation, they got closer and got together once Kate was over Seth. The first day Phillip attempted to help her, they had sex but they knew it was more than comfort. They were both right because now they were together and in love. Kate had been going to UC for a year now and everything was going great. She got a part-time job at a restaurant and that was going good as well. Phillip struggled to handle the mechanic shop by himself for a while but got back on his feet when he hired some new reliable people to help him out.

As for James and Ali, things were going great as well. Ali was enjoying school and was teaching how to play guitars to children and teens at a guitar workshop. She couldn't wait until her 3rd year in college so she could begin her actual guitar classes. The general education was fairly easy and she wanted a challenge. Everything back at home with her family was going great too. James on the other hand, was working as a substitute teacher for middle schools. It was a level down from what he was doing in SF but he actually enjoyed it more. He was surprised that he dealt with middle school kids better than high school kids. He became one of the favorite substitute teachers to have and he got called constantly. He loved it.

It was currently Friday afternoon and Ali was getting home from the only class she had to attend that day. She was relieved because the day before, she had spent all day at the guitar workshop and her body was sore. She was finally able to rest in bed. She entered the empty apartment and headed straight to the bedroom. Kate was at school still and James would arrive there for lunch and then go back to work. He always went to Ali's apartment for lunch so she made him something quick so she could head into the shower.

Once she was done, she headed in the shower and she immediately relaxed. The warm water made her body feel better so she stayed in there for quite a while. Once she was finished, she wrapped a towel around her body and stepped out. She exited the bathroom and heard a noise coming from her bedroom. "Babe? Are you here already?" she walked into the room and saw James laying down on the bed.

"Hey beautiful." James stood up and walked to Ali. He kissed her neck and then her lips.

"Hey...did you eat what I made you?"

"Yeah I did. Thanks babe." James smiled. He always appreciated the things that Ali did for him. She would make him lunch, dinner, and would help him out with cleaning his apartment next door. He would insist her not to but she would always do it anyways. Sometime he would worry that she was doing too much at a time but she would always assure him that she was fine. He valued her so much and he thought it was time to make that promise ring mean something more. He would take care of that tomorrow night when they go to dinner. "You look tired." James could see it in Ali's eyes that she was tired.

"Yeah I am. I want to relax." Ali rested her head on James' chest and wrapped her arms around him.

"Tell you what...get dressed in something comfortable and rest. I'll clean up the apartment for you and Janah."

"No, you don't have to do that."

"But I want to. You do so much for me, let me do something for you." James pressed.

"Fine." Ali pulled away and stood on her toes to kiss him. "Thank you baby." she walked over to her dresser while James went to the living room to start cleaning up.

(15 minutes later)

James was done cleaning just in time to head back to work. He walked into the bedroom and saw Ali on the bed reading a comic book. "Hey, I'm heading back to work."

Ali smiled and closed the comic book, placing it on the night stand. She crooked her finger at him and he walked to the bed and crawled his way up Ali's body. "I love you." she whispered.