Chapter 20

A/N
In case it wasn't clear, I have a terrible time with schedules. My motivation for this story comes and goes, so I've made a decision. I'm not going to end this story, however, I'll no longer be able to promise consistent updates. If I happen to get a surge of motivation, I'll write a few chapters all at once and post them once a week. Other than that, I cannot confirm dates. Thanks for reading, on with the chapter!

   Y/N POV

   After an exhausting battle, and seeing the Gerudo Champion herself, we finally find ourselves back in the town. Riju understands our lack of energy, and guides us to a little inn back in the corner of the town.

   "You two have done well. You may share the details of your battle after you rest. Come find me once you are ready." Riju leaves Link and I in a cozy room. Two large beds, softer than any bed I ever had the privilege of laying on.

  Link changes clothes in the bathroom, while I change in the bedroom. Riju had a bit of difficulty getting us to the inn without raising suspicions. Link was still in the gear he was wearing when fighting the calamity, so he was clearly a "voe." We had to form a bit of a bodyguard barrier around him. It was quite amusing.

   "Are you done? Can I come out?" Link asks.

   "Yeah, come on." I reply, already tucked into my bed.

   He comes out, dressed in warm clothes for the night. We don't have to worry about anyone seeing him out of his Gerudo outfit; the innkeepers won't bother us.

   "Well. That certainly was.. something," Link states, while falling onto his bed.

   "Definitely a first for me," I reply. "Pretty intense. Up until you came 'round, the most intimidating enemy I fought was a blue bokoblin. Quite a large step from a pig guy to a monster made of the physical form of hatred and malice."
   Link chuckles at that. "Yeah, quite the step up indeed."

   We then fall silent, our exhaustion finally hitting us full force. I hear Link's breathing slow down, he already passed out. It doesn't take me long to follow.

   Link's POV

   I'm the first to wake. Y/N is still sound asleep. Today we must meet with Riju. However, I'd do anything to stay in bed all day.

   Heaving a sigh, I sit up and look at my surroundings. Yep, same as last night. Two beds, Y/N in one of said beds, a nightstand next to both beds, large window, young Gerudo girl staring through the window, door...

   YOUNG GERUDO GIRL STARING THROUGH THE WINDOW.

   I panic and hide my face under the blankets. I really hope she doesn't realize I'm a voe. Where is this kid's mom?

   "Y/N. Wake up," I whisper. She grunts in response.
   "There's a kid staring at us!" She gunts again and rolls over.
   "Wake up!" I whisper-shout. Finally, she slowly sits up, glaring daggers at me.

   "Why are you hiding?" she grumbles.

   "Look out the window, you idiot!" She looks at the window, then back at me.

   "What am I supposed to be looking at?" she quizzes. I slowly sit up and look at the window, the little girl left. I let out a heavy sigh.

   Y/N rolls her eyes and drags herself out of bed. I do the same, however, a bit hesitantly.

   "You big cucco. There's nobody there."
   "No, there was, she was staring right at me."
   "You're imagining things. Now, go change before someone does actually see you out of uniform." Hmph. Whatever.

   Once we're both changed, we thank the innkeepers and head out. Just outside the door, the young Gerudo girl from earlier greets us.

   "Are you a voe?" she grins.

   "What? No! Keep your voice down!" I frantically look around, scanning to see if anyone heard.

   "Voes aren't allowed," her grin growing even more.

   "I'm not- I'm female! I'm a lady! I'm not a guy!" Y/N is just snickering at me.

   "It's okay. I won't tell anyone." It's clear now her grin was more excitement than evil intentions. She's probably never spoken to a voe before, so I assume her curiosity outweighs her morals. I sigh, and relax a little.

   "..alright. We have a meeting with Riju, so we can't stay and talk. Let's keep this our secret, 'kay?" I almost beg. The girl nods excitedly and bounces away.

   "You think she's gonna stay quiet?" Y/N teases.

   "No clue. But, even if she says she saw a voe, I'm not sure how many people would believe her." We continue up to Riju's throne room.

   We hastily explained the details of our adventure, and received praise. Blah blah blah, you're a hero, we are in your debt, ect. I quickly zoned out.

   ".. so I'd like to offer you these. The sword and shield that Urbosa wielded." Riju said to me.

   "Oh?? Uh, I see. Uhm, thank you," I replied. Y/N gave me a nasty look. Riju carefully handed me the equipment of the Gerudo champion, and I examined them closely. The blade is sharp, the shield is strong. I might just use these.

   Once we left the large room, Y/N flicked the back of my head.

   "Ow! What was that for?"

   "Were you even paying attention?" she growled.

   "No, not necessarily," I reply. "Praise gets boring after a while."

   She states at me, and for a moment, I think she's gonna punch me. But, then she starts laughing.

   "Link, you are a complete idiot," she laughed. "You're lucky I like you. You'd be lost without me."

   "Ah, I guess you're right," I snicker.