2.

"Sarah, I'm so fucking nervous" I wailed as my heels smacked off of the concrete as I hurried towards the daunting high rise office block.

"There's no need to be nervous" the sound of my best friends voice crackled over the speaker as I dodged the mundane Monday morning commuters, all busy ignoring everyone around them and racing to their destination. London got the reputation for being one of the unfriendliest cities to travel in and some times I tended to agree. It was only February so the weather was pretty chilly which always added to peoples hostility. It gave them an excuse to hide behind their winter coats and scarves and use the extra padding to feign ignorance when their elbow collided with your arm with never an apology.

"You got this, pretty girl" They say if you're friends for more than 7 years then you'll be friends forever. And by they I mean a meme. I saw it on a meme, so it must be true, right?

I'd say there's a lot of truth in it. Sarah and I have been friends for 11 years now. We've been friends since the beginning of high school and we've been together ever since, we even chose the same Marketing degree at the same university in London. Some people thought it was so we didn't need to be apart. It was simply because we want the same things out of life. After finishing University, she got a job immediately, I left to travel the world a bit before coming back and realising the market had crashed, no one was hiring and I got stuck waiting tables in the stupid restaurant. If luck was on my side and I could nail this interview, Sarah and I could soon be colleagues.

"Urgh, I'm just so nervous" I mumbled, eyeballing the back of some guys head as he barged by me, knocking my shoulder and unsurprisingly not saying sorry. No wonder he walked into people with shoulders that broad. He had dark chestnut curls that instantly made me wonder those shoulders looked like under his navy wool coat. I had a thing for shoulders.

"... there's just no need. You're never this nervous about job interviews?" I tuned back in to what Sarah was saying as Mr Sexy Shoulders disappeared in to the sea of bodies walking down Fenchurch Street.

"I know, I think I just really want this job" I sighed. I'd now been out of work for 2 weeks. I had enough in savings to cover rent till the end of the month but I was living pay cheque to pay cheque. I couldn't afford not to get this job. Even if an assistants position was below my degree it was a step up from the restaurant and right now I'd just love to be back in the field I studied in.

"Well, you'll do your best and that's all you can do. You've prepared more than anyone else has" Having a best friend who works in the company already doesn't help.

Sarah lowers her voice a little and I can tell she's holding the receiver a little closer to her mouth. "And between you and me, everyone else today has been pitiful. One girl came in wearing a skirt so short I could almost see her bum cheeks. There's no way Doris would hire someone wearing a miniskirt to their interview, she's old fashioned like that" I could hear the affection in Sarah's voice and I'm hit with a pang of jealousy. I want that. I want to belong to a group of employees that like each other. Making new acquaintances that I can grab coffee with in the break room, colleagues that I can alert when the boss is in a bad mood, friends that I can have a catch-up with at the photocopier. Although I worked with a very diverse group of people at the restaurant, people came and went. The job was a stepping stone for everyone else but me it seemed so it was difficult to get close to anyone when they would be off to the next best thing in a couple of months.

"Ok, I'm just coming up to the building. I'll be in in 2 minutes" I tell Sarah as I eye the imposing high rise building in front of me. It's all sleek-lines and glass and fits in well in the city's Square Mile . Every building within a mile radius houses law firms, accountants, banks and SMG where I have, probably, the most important job interview I'd ever have, in under 20 minutes.