3.

I admitted defeat at 05:30 on Monday morning, getting out of bed and heading for the gym to see if an 8 mile run on the treadmill could dilute some of the nervous energy bubbling around my system.

I'd spent all weekend nervously pacing my small one bed apartment. I'd pulled most of my wardrobe from the rails and splayed them across my bed. Working in the restaurant industry for so long, my "work attire" was sorely lacking and I didn't have the funds to buy anything more than my interview suit so I had to find a few key pieces within my existing wardrobe until my first pay check came in and I'd set aside a little to buy some appropriate new work pieces. If I lasted long enough to get my first pay check.

When I wasn't fretting over my first day outfit I was trying to fathom why my new boss had taken such an instant disliking to me. I had never made such a bad first impression before. Usually I was charming, endearing, enigmatic. Never before had I been so thoroughly disliked by someone. But I was determined to change it. Despite my first week being mostly taken up with training I was sure I could change Mr Styles opinion of me.

So on Sunday night I had spent a bit of time after dinner doing one of my favourite hobbies. Baking. I had made a tray of cherry and oat flapjacks. They were relatively healthy but I had been told by everyone that had tried them that they were delicious and I was sure they would work wonders as a little peace offering. Once I'd chosen my outfit of a white and black, checked skirt that came down to just below my knees, a fine knit black jumper and a pair of patent black stilettos that gave my already modest height another couple of inches. It also kept my outfit smart and business like. Despite being super organised I still didn't sleep well which was why I found myself at the gym at a disturbingly early hour on Monday morning.

The run did little to quash my nerves but it did kill enough time. Once I got back to my flat I had enough time to take a shower, get ready and leave for the subway, tupperware in hand.

I hurried up the stone steps in to the building. It was only 8am so the main rush of employees hadn't arrived yet, I could only hope that my boss was among the majority of people still to arrive. I was due to meet Doris at my desk at 8:30 to begin my first day of training.

I made my way up in the elevator but when I got out on the top floor I was met with Chloe's forced smile.

"Good morning Victoria" Her lips curling up in a sneer. Maybe she was another one to add on to the list of people in this building who disliked me. There were already 2 to many on the list.

"It's Veronica" I smiled as warmly as I could muster.

"Oh" She tutted at herself in the oddest display of fake self deprecation. This girl really didn't like me. But because she didn't apologise, or correct herself for her mistake we were stuck in this awkward limbo of where to take the conversation next.

"Ok, well, have a nice day" I smiled again and slowly walked around her desk and in to the main body of the floor. There were a few bodies milling about, starting up computers and hanging up jackets as I walked towards my office at the back. I was sure everyone was looking at me like I was an imposter but the few I did manage to make eye contact with gave me encouraging smiles. At least I didn't seem to be adding anymore to my enemies list just yet.

My office door was open and I got that fizz of excitement in my stomach as I pushed through the door and into my new space. I couldn't wait to get settled, make this little area my own then get stuck in to a job I was determined to excel at. I took my khaki green wool coat off and hung it on the coat stand by the door and sat my hand bag on my desk and looked towards the door that separated my office from Mr Styles. It was open a little and there didn't seem to be any noise coming through the gap. My heels were silent as I made my way across the carpet and gingerly I poked my head through. The office was empty so I creeped towards the massive, mahogany desk. I could feel my palms moisten as the excitement bubbled in to nerves. I may only be new but I already knew I shouldn't be in this office uninvited and I knew if my boss caught me I'd be in trouble. I was giving him even more ammo to dislike me. That's why I had to get in and out as quickly as possible.