Chapter 5

-1st Person Tony POV-

I won't bore you with the details.

He was on the table for 31 straight hours, then hospitalized. After they realized they had only slowed down his death rate, they wheeled him back in for another 7.

I couldn't stay for over two.

Looking at his mangled, near unrecognizable body made me sick to my stomach. I stayed to help give him an arc reactor and to patch large portions of missing skin with carbon nano-fiber. I stayed to place nano tubing where his arteries had combusted and I stayed to watch Wong preform healing magic to his best ability. I stayed to give a blood transfusion and I stayed to shock him with defibrillators I crafted that carried 380% more power of that than a normal set.

Over the course of his 38 hours in surgery, we had to shock him with full power eighteen times.

After the fourth time in the second hour, I left. Seeing anyone in such a dire state... I couldn't handle it. I still don't even know how on Earth he lived. Yet somehow, thirty eight and a half hours after bringing him to the hospital, he's alive.

Thirty eight and a half hours later, he's in a coma for who knows how long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 12 weeks later now and Stephen is still comatose. The Guardians have gone back to space. The so called Rogue Avengers are in court, looking at pardons. I shudder as I think about it... Steve, coming back with his... team. I subconsciously rub my chest, remembering where Steve had slammed his shield into me. I'm not ready for him to come back. I'm not ready to face him. Not yet. Meanwhile, Thor is off world, attempting to locate Loki. I've sent May and Peter off to a relaxing vacation in Hawaii; they both deserve it and need the distraction. Me? I'm still here in New York. I've kept myself busy to attempt to distract myself from Stephens current state. I've worked on renovating the Compound to be able to house every super powered individual I've ever met. I've spent time at The New York Sanctum with Wong, helping keep up with things since Stephen is... anyways, I've done some updates on Friday. And Karen. Even Edith. I've updated my will so that Peter is the official heir of Stark Industries. Speaking of SI, I've been working on new energy conversion tech over there. But no matter how busy I keep myself, my thoughts can't help but to drift back to the doctor. I only met the man shortly before this, but I already feel some strange connection to him. Maybe it's because he saved my life. And Peters. And basically everyone. Maybe it's because he reminds me of myself. Point is... I'm worried about him. For the most part, his vitals are good, and the arc reactor and carbon nanotube are working fine but... I still don't even know what he did. Whatever it was he destroyed five Infinity Stones. Which is... unbelievable, to say the least. And he knew exactly what he had to do to do so. He almost died. And he very well still could die. And he didn't panic at all. He basically killed himself. But he's still alive. For now. I can't get my hopes up that he'll be okay. Whenever I do that... but I can't let him die. I can't. I owe it to him.

Author's Note:  Sorry that this chapter is so short! I'm really busy with school right now. I plan to update again as soon as possible!

-Ironstrange616