A Call That No On Wants

Eddie and Bobby were on their way back toward land in search of more survivors when the radio crackled to life.

"This is Officer Ryan. For 118 Captain Nash, Do you copy? 118 Captain Nash, come in?"

"This is Captain Nash. Go ahead."

"Captain, Firefighter Eddie Diaz is needed at Mobile Hospital One. His husband has been recovered and is inconsolable."

Eddie mouthed the word 'Husband,' but just stared at Bobby with furrowed brows.

Bobby's face mirrored Eddie's confusion. "I'm sorry Officer. Can you repeat? Did you say husband?"

"I have an Evan Diaz here, having a panic attack. Their child, an .... eight year old Christopher, was separated from him during the second wave."

Eddie's heart dropped. They were supposed to be safe. At the movies. Not here. Not in this deadly wave. Not swimming in the freezing water, just to survive.

He gripped the radio Bobby passed him tightly. "This is Firefighter Eddie Diaz. Is Evan okay?"

"He is finally breathing normally, sir. The nurse threatened to sedate him and he finally worked with her, but he looks ready to throw himself back into the water. He doesn't seem to care about his exhaustion or his injuries. Only your son." He was grateful to hear that Buck was breathing, but god his son was out there. His baby.

"Where did my son go down?" He could feel the desperation edging into his voice and took a deep breath to steady himself.

Both men startled slightly when Buck's voice rang over the line, shallow and hoarse. "136 firetruck, Santa Monica Blvd. Cross street 4th. Survivors up top. Chris fell backwards off the 4 side. I- I was helping survivors up. The wave, God. Eddie.. I swear, I was in the water 20 seconds later," Buck took a gasping breath and the transmission cut out. The silence was deafening, before the officer came back on. "Mr. Diaz advises that the child is wearing a long-sleeved yellow shirt, and khakis, but doesn't have his glasses or his crutches."

Eddie felt seconds from his own panic attack and Bobby could probably tell, since he gently pried the radio from Eddie's hands to respond, when Eddie just stared down at it.

"Thank you, Officer. We are rerouting that way now. If there is any word on Christopher, please radio immediately. Can I have a status on Evan?"

"Mr. Diaz is being calmed by a nurse. They believe that his panic and exhaustion are exacerbating his asthma, but at the moment he is not critical. We will radio if we have any news, Captain."

Eddie could feel Bobby's stare burning a hole through him. "Can you do this Eddie?"

"I won't go back, Bobby. My son– I can't just pretend he isn't out here somewhere. He's my baby." Eddie felt himself slip into his military mindset almost involuntarily, steeling himself against the emotions already threatening to spill over. He couldn't think of Buck nearly dying or that he was having trouble breathing now. Or Christopher being dead or dying out there. He couldn't find Christopher like that.

Eddie expected more of a fight from Bobby, but he just nodded before picking up his radio.

"Chim. Hen. Do you copy?"

"Copy, Cap. We are headed back out to meet you on Santa Monica and 4th."

"Keep eyes out for any sign of Christopher from your direction, But help where you're needed. As much as we all want to rush to find Christopher, we need to do our jobs, too. We are closer to the truck than you are, so we will start there. You start from dry land."

"Copy."

Eddie leaned harshly against the edge of the raft, scanning the horizon for any sign of survivors, but mostly for his son. After three tours in the army, he never thought his wife or his son might die before him. It had never even been a possibility. He hadn't been prepared to lose his wife and he wouldn't survive losing his son. He just needed to find him. And hold him. He would feel better when he had Buck and Chris in his arms. When he knew they were both safe.